What's new

dmf service limits

bandh

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord tourer cdti
hi all,
what are the service limits on a dmf ? i believe the limit on the spring ,however its measured, is 35mm . what else would require the change of flywheel? is it as a normal flywheel eg grooving ? i dont want to have to change it unless i have to. as i see it a dmf is only a damper to smooth out the clutch action.

thanks for your kind attention

brian

hi all,
what are the service limits on a dmf ? i believe the limit on the spring ,however its measured, is 35mm . what else would require the change of flywheel? is it as a normal flywheel eg grooving ? i dont want to have to change it unless i have to. as i see it a dmf is only a damper to smooth out the clutch action.

brian

Brian the specification is between 3.5 - 35.0 mm for the flywheel.Why are you so worried about your flywheel is your clutch slipping.
If so this subject has been talked over and over.Try having a search and you will find most of your answers.
By the way the flywheel if needs changing will only be considered when the clutch and components are dismantled.

hi all,

brian

Brian,

I can see that the DMF issue is really bothering you.

It is still a rare item to go, your car has 140k on the clock, so it has either had the clutch done once and the DMF checked or replaced you are possibly thinking the worse with little cause.

Have you any other symptoms that are making you think that something more serious is wrong.

I know in another thread a few of us have suggested going to Holdcroft and we have said it because it is within reach of you and to our knowledge through first hand experience, in a completely different league to some other dealers and the guys take genuine pride in their work.

Maybe if it helps give them a call, let them know your from the forum and have a chat to them, they may even be able to pull up some history for you.

Best of luck

hi and thanks for the reply.
my cars done about 155k now and yes its had a new clutch and dmf in the past.i have the mileage it was done at but its under a pile of paper. i only wanted to know the limits and reasons they are changed so i might be able to argue the toss if i feel it doesnt really need it. i hear too many times folk are "encouraged" to change the dmf as well as the clutch due to the expense if it does let go and you end up doing the job twice. the car only stands me at about £3500 and i couldnt justify spending over a grand on it. also i love this car.

cheers
brian

hi and thanks for the reply.
my cars done about 155k now and yes its had a new clutch and dmf in the past.i have the mileage it was done at but its under a pile of paper. i only wanted to know the limits and reasons they are changed so i might be able to argue the toss if i feel it doesnt really need it. i hear too many times folk are "encouraged" to change the dmf as well as the clutch due to the expense if it does let go and you end up doing the job twice. the car only stands me at about £3500 and i couldnt justify spending over a grand on it. also i love this car.

cheers
brian

Fully understand your point of view and of course it would be difficult to tell whether the DMF is an issue until it is all stripped down.

Also like you say, some dealers "seem" to be advising the change when it maybe unnecessary and various prices are being banded about.

here is a link if you haven't already read it to a guy who had recently had a clutch fitted by Holdcroft and unfortunately there were some issues, the reason why I'm linking this for you is so you can see how the dealer dealt with the issue, SHOULD it arise. I must also point out that Holdcroft have now fitted quite a few clutches on forum members cars and they are all very satisfied, hence why Holdcroft are recommended to yourself. In other words they won't try and flog a DMF unless it is honestly needed

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/2039-new-clutch-slip-again/