What's new

Do i slacken hadnbrake to change pads

2lexec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda
I have a 52 plate 2L Executive hatch back. I've just changed the front discs and pads without a problem but with the rear I'm struggling to push the piston back.
Do i need to slacken of the handbrake adjusters when fitting the pads? If I do where are they?

thank you in advance

2lexec

no you don't need to touch handbrake, to push the piston back you need to turn it clockwise and push it in the same time then it will work.

turning
256ae98938613f8am.jpg

and pushing
10e03841ca032f9bm.jpg

hope that will help ;)

i acctually need to turn the piston? can i ask why? is it threaded? This would fit whit what someone was telling me about the windback tool that i could not understand.

thanks

2lexec

If the piston has notches on, like in Grzesiek's picture then you need to turn it clockwise and not just push it in. It's because the handbrake operates on the discs. You can get the piston in by turning it slightly with some long-nosed pliers and then pushing it in a bit then repeating. And repeating. And repeating till the piston is fully wound back. Or you could get a wind back tool that turns and pushes at the same time and makes the job a lot quicker. Quick link My link

Make sure the notches in the piston line up with the little lugs on the back of the pads, otherwise you'll end up with them not being aligned properly. The pads and discs will overheat and get you into a whole load of trouble! This is a great little DIY that may give you some pointers.

Some designs of rear brake have a disc brake for slowing the car with a drum brake behind for the handbrake. The pistons on these would be smooth like those on the front brakes and don't need winding back in.

Thank you brodiu and OB1 really appreciate the advise.

All done and back together. without the advice I would never have gotten the rear pistons back in. My pads old and new did not have lugs to fit into the pistons.

I now just need to take the car for a spin to see if it stops.

thanks again

2lexec

Glad your sorted 2lexec just one thing to remember is that the notches on the piston line up with the notches on the pads.

Glad you managed to get it all sorted.