What's new

Do they al fail?

ROAD DETECTIVE

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mazda 3 Sport
Hi guys
You know, I keep reading on this site about the numerous faults the CTDI has and how expensive they are to put right. VSA module, Timing chain, Exhaust manifold, Weak clutch, DMF etc. Expensive of course if like me your car is just out of the 7yr warrenty. Up to date I have had a new clutch and DMF fitted, along with a new o/s driveshaft. I have been a confirmed Honda fan for a number of years, having owned previously a VTI Civic and CTR but this is putting me right off somewhat. My question is simple, do most owners suffer these problems, or is it just a few and it appears a lot due to the numerous posts on the subject. Should I expect these problems in the future and therefore get rid of a car I love, or stick with the Accord knowing that it probably will not happen to me? The car is serviced by myself every 6k with the correct 0w30 oil, so is very well looked after.

I think overall the numbers are low and don't forget this is a forum where members with problems hunt out answers. I'm on my second Accord. My first had a new clutch at my expense and manifold under warranty. It didn't put me off another (facelift) one which has had the VSA unit replaced last week under warranty. Having come from Peugeot and Vauxhall our problems are minimal!

All cars sooner or later are going to have these faults. Honda's extended warranties are fairly generous really - as long as they uphold the claims of course ;).

I think overall the numbers are low and don't forget this is a forum where members with problems hunt out answers. I'm on my second Accord. My first had a new clutch at my expense and manifold under warranty. It didn't put me off another (facelift) one which has had the VSA unit replaced last week under warranty. Having come from Peugeot and Vauxhall our problems are minimal!
Thanks for the swift reply Paul. At the moment the car is super smooth and quiet with no signs of impending doom. It's cost me enough money already, when 9 mths into ownership last year the clutch and DMF went. I do remember you had a couple of more minor problems just after you bought your car. The more major VSA on yours thank goodness, has happened under warrenty. I would like to keep this car long term, so the reassurance from guys like yourself is very welcome.

What milaege is you car? What was it when you got it? How old was it when you got it?

When you look at things in perspective things are often not too bad. I got mine at 5 years and 125K. Clutch & DMF died the following week. I couldn't moan too much.

My manifold died at 142K. I was miffed that Honda stuck two fingers up - but then I couldn't moan too much.

Vauxhall Insignia hire car I gave back today - 12 months old. 19845K on the clock.

Doesn't start - all power and dash lights die when you put the key to the crank position.
AC doesn't blow cold.
Clutch smells nasty.
Horrible grinding noise from the front wheels when turning (almost full lock).
Electronic parking brake doesn't always engage when you press the button.
Radio has naff all reception.
No logic to how the filler cap cover opens.

That is after I only had two days and drove to London and back twice.

What a P.O.S!!!!

Hi Dan
I don't know about all cars. Had the VTI for seven years, 172k on the clock when I changed it. New clutch at 138k and a bearing in the gearbox went at 168k in all that time. Had the CTR for 5years, 132k on the clock and only needed a new clutch at 123k and an engine mount. Nothing else went wrong. I guess I have got used to the usual Honda reliability and it saddens me to think this CTDI might not be the same.

I got the car early last year with 58k on the clock. It's an 04 model. It's now got 85k. Had the clutch etc done at about 72k.

John this is not a bad car its very good.As the guys has said Honda has given a good extended warranty on the known issues.
My advice mate is drive and enjoy the car and don't look for problems until they arrive.

All modern diesels have inherent problems. Ford, Peugeot , Citroen, BMW etc etc etc
To be as kind to the environment and drive as we want them to they end up being fitted with DMF's DPF's swirlfaps, Delphi injectors which like comiting suicide at an alarming rate (Ford TDCI) and they eat clutches due to the torque being forced through them.

In 10 yrs time when the component technology has caught up with the engine technology i will maybe buy diesel again but until then i am sticking with petrol (unless i am swayed by a 530d)

The engines seem to be pretty fine but everything bolted on or built around them cant cope.

What you got to remember John is the reliability of the Honda brand has come about from the early days, and in the early days they did not have diesels in there line up.

The reliability is ONLY for petrol engined Hondas, because of the long standing improvements and design from way back.

Honda has only recently made diesel full scale, and thats only to satisfy the customer market, they were still the one of the last manufactures to bring a full line up in diesel.

As a result you are going to get more faults and less reliability in the diesels, compared to the petrols you have owned.

Having said that the diesel Hondas are still a darn sight better car that the rest of the rubbish on the road!

I'm not sure when the first Honda diesel car engine was made but 2003/2004 springs to mind. Honda have had 7-8 years to get it right. I wonder if the idtec will have similar problems in a few years.

i will be buying petrol as soon as possible
i am trying to sell my diesel accord at the moment,first good offer and is gone
i spent lot of money on it recently but i dont want to spend any more so is time for it to go

John, just to add, remember as with all forums/web site reviews etc. people only really report when they have a problem and seek advice to get it sorted. As with all products that people own, if they have a problem with it they've got to report it to see what or if there is a fix for it.
A lot of members on here probably joined because they had a problem and liked it so much stayed -others have joined found the fix and left...

I've personally owned my Accord for 6 1/2 years and have done 70k, I only service as recommended 12months (usually) or 12k have used not Honda fuel filters with no problems etc and have had none of the issues that you mention.
But I'm not going to regularly post to say 'help- there's nothing wrong with my car- I'm totally happy'
Hope you get my point...
rolleyes.gif
and enjoy

:lol: a point well made sir! Love it.

John, just to add, remember as with all forums/web site reviews etc. people only really report when they have a problem and seek advice to get it sorted. As with all products that people own, if they have a problem with it they've got to report it to see what or if there is a fix for it.
A lot of members on here probably joined because they had a problem and liked it so much stayed -others have joined found the fix and left...

I've personally owned my Accord for 6 1/2 years and have done 70k, I only service as recommended 12months (usually) or 12k have used not Honda fuel filters with no problems etc and have had none of the issues that you mention.
But I'm not going to regularly post to say 'help- there's nothing wrong with my car- I'm totally happy'
Hope you get my point...
rolleyes.gif
and enjoy

Gav,

Couldn't have put it better myself, whole heartedly agree with you.

if you dont mind my couple of pence...ive now had 9 hondas of varying guises (indicntally for those diesel nuts - honda developed a 1.8 common rail diesel engine with bosch set-up for their cd5 model accord and ran it for 18 months very rare but still out there - also borrowed the somewhat ok 1.7 oil burner from vauxhall that was found in the likes of their combo vans and astra mk3s to put into the ep shape civic calling it the 1.7cdti - a forerunner to mine and not bad with 107 bhp at fly and pretty good torque figures) got carried away sorry....anyway my faithful accord has now had a new clutch at 78k couple of bearings, abs pickups at rear and a refurbished box at my request...not cheap especially with the fly costing 696quid alone plus vat, but then again the point to make is I chose to chip the engine, drop the car slightly and increase pressure on fueling etc...she does 300 miles a day on average pulls like a train and now has 144k on original engine and the only thing that doesnt work? the *** lighter :rolleyes: to summise then, i cant complain cause ive happily blown up a lot of other rep mobiles and this aint one of um!!

Bought mine at three years old 90.000 on the clock, had full service history, it had been to the moon and back, nothing changed to my knowledge, now at 158,000 and fingers crossed no problems yet. I change the oil at 6,000 and change the filter at 12,000, and I drive it like it is a diesel, not everything with a "Honda" badge is designed for Brands Hatch. Had diesel Citreon, Peugeot, Ford and Vauxhall with the BMW engine not one of them can hold a candle to the Honda in refinment, or grunt. If you want to live with the fast boys then get a Honda v-tec petrol engine. The same old faces on here come up with same old problems. Relax enjoy.

Thanks for all the replys guys. Yes she is good and I am keeping her, sorry I was talking about the other half!! The car, well I am also very happy with the motor. I service it myself, more often than the correct service intervals. Correct oil, genuine oil and fuel filters etc. It will not go wrong due to a lack of care and poor driving I can ***ure you. I hope to run this motor for a long time yet. Although I must admit, yesterday when I had a blue Buggati Veyron line up alongside me at the traffic lights near Beaconsfield, I was tempted to offer a swap.

It is a bit early for me to comment about faults we've had with our cars engine as we've only had the car for a few days before it had to go back to the garage with driveshaft problems. However, it has got 95,000 on the clock and we bought it from a car dealership. We thought we could trace the previous owner of the car to see what problems he had and he reported driveshaft problem and that started at 80,000 miles other than that he thought it was a great car and he was very happy with it. No skin off his nose to say that because the car was a lease vehicle.

My new (136k) 05 car has had - according to bills that have come with it:

100k - manifold
125k - timing chain
136k - clutch & DMF.

We should remember that an Austin Maxi was only good for 35k miles.

See, to me those mileages are fine ... especially when you consider this is Honda's first diesel.

Something often ignored.

See, to me those mileages are fine ... especially when you consider this is Honda's first diesel.

Something often ignored.

We didn't hesitate to buy a high mileage diesel from Honda, I wouldn't have had the same confidence with many other makes of vehicle though.

i think it's unreasonable to think they ALL fail, what we capture here is only a fraction of the cars out there and majority of the car who find there way here are the ones who have issues so teh data is somewhat biased. Perol cars have their issues too, BUT the mileage people do in them is generally less than what people do in Diesel cars, there is probably A LOT more diesel cars sold than there are petrol also. if you look at the grand scheme of things, it's mainly the manifold and timing chain that is problematic and considered an issue, the clutch is a wear and tear item.

That only real issue with 2 items.....