What's new

Dome Light / Clock / Voice Fuse

Moon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Turned car on the other day and noticed clock wasn't working, and after a bit of investigation, neither was the voice input button or the dome lights.

I traced the fault to a blown no. 6 fuse in driver's side fusebox, so replaced it and bob on, everything working fine.

Next day, same problem, fuse was blown again so replaced it, thinking maybe I'd put a duff fuse in.

Everything ok for a few days, then today on the drive home I heard a couple of beeps and happened to glance at the clock, which wasn't on.

I don't know whether it was on before I heard these beeps, but I'm guessing that it probably was and the beeps had something to do with the fuse blowing, but I could be completely wrong of course.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can track down what's causing this fuse to blow, or any idea what else might use this fuse?

Grateful for any help, as I had hoped that this would be a simple case of replacing the fuse without having to pay my mechanic to try and trace and fix the problem.

I would say its a trapped cable somewhere causing the cable to earth out.This will not be easy to find but its probably the only way.
Also check for any water ingress near the dome lights as this would be the 1st place i would look.
Also you might have a duff bulb causing this in the dome light.

Thanks for the reply Brett.

I'll check for water in the dome lights.

Both lights work, but I'll check they're connected properly while I'm doing my water divining.

I might pull all the dashboard off as well to check for trapped cables, as I fitted an Xcarlink a couple of months ago, although I would have expected it to have happened sooner if this was related to that.

Where would I be able to find out what else is connected to this particular fuse, any idea?

Im not 100% but i think most of the internal lights are on the same fuse.
Have you got a Honda Manuel to check the fuse numbers if not someone hear will.

All the interior lights are on fuse 6.

Cheers Doc.

It seems like it's a very popular fuse, as I don't get the audio or air con either.

I've checked the dome lights and there's no water, so have replaced the fuse and everything works again, but got some sparking when I inserted it.

I've tried raising and lowering the tailgate (Tourer) and the fuse blew, but the tailgate is a completely different fuse, so not that.

I'm at a bit of a loss and it's very frustrating. :(

At a guess then moon I would say its a problem with the fuse bourd.
There must be something shorting out in there.
Is there any corrosion in the box itself like a white powdery residue.
This is very odd indeed or it might be a bad earth somewhere.
I'm only guessing really you might need an Auto electrician to have a proper look.

At a guess then moon I would say its a problem with the fuse bourd.
There must be something shorting out in there.
Is there any corrosion in the box itself like a white powdery residue.
This is very odd indeed or it might be a bad earth somewhere.
I'm only guessing really you might need an Auto electrician to have a proper look.

It's a PITA for sure, Brett.

Only thing I can think of is that a mate of mine were exploring the electric cabling on the tailgate a few weeks ago to see the best route for parking sensors and may have disturbed a wire.

I've pulled a load of trim off around the tailgate and in the boot to see if there's anything obvious, but nothing stands out.

It's going in the garage Monday week for a drop link replacement, so I'll get him to take a look while he's got it.

If you, or anyone else, have any brainwaves in the interim, don't be shy to post them up.

Cheers for your efforts, much appreciated.

Yep will do moon.just a thought on my old 7th sallon there was a master plug in the boot back right hand side.
This controlled the rear lights and things.i had lots if problems with this hence the rear lights would come on then sometimes not work.
In the end I ditched the plug and solder all cables together problem solved.
This plug had about 15 cables going to it.
This might help as a guess if it's the same set up in the tourer

Yep will do moon.just a thought on my old 7th sallon there was a master plug in the boot back right hand side.
This controlled the rear lights and things.i had lots if problems with this hence the rear lights would come on then sometimes not work.
In the end I ditched the plug and solder all cables together problem solved.
This plug had about 15 cables going to it.
This might help as a guess if it's the same set up in the tourer

There is one where all the cables from the tailgate converge into a plug just underneath the speaker on the right hand side of the boot, so I'm guessing that it's the same one we're talking about.

It was this plug that we pushed the parking sensor wire into to test it was working.

How did you know that it was that plug which was your problem, or was it just a process of elimination?

It's very odd really because the problems started when I had a full boot with things pushing against the lining.
I had a look behind the back lining and found the plug.
If i moved the plug the lights would come on and go off so this is how I found the problem

It's very odd really because the problems started when I had a full boot with things pushing against the lining.
I had a look behind the back lining and found the plug.
If i moved the plug the lights would come on and go off so this is how I found the problem

No harm in me having a poke around tomorrow as I'd love to be able to find the fault without paying my mechanic to try and track the fault down.

Ta for the tip, I'll let you know how I get on.

Good man with me it was just luck that I found it.
Best of luck and hope its something simple lol

Good man with me it was just luck that I found it.
Best of luck and hope its something simple lol

You and me both.

You know, before I signed up on here I wouldn't have even known to look at the fuses, never mind the wiring. :D

That's why we are hear as a community for the passion of your cars.
This is my 2nd accord and will nether look back.

That's why we are hear as a community for the passion of your cars.
This is my 2nd accord and will nether look back.

It's given me confidence to do a few bits and bobs for myself, only what would be considered easy stuff, but things which would have in the past had me running straight to the garage, which in the current climate is very handy.

Couldn't find anything wrong with the plug, but not really sure what I was looking for really so will stick yet another fuse in tomorrow and give it a wiggle.

I decided to busy myself trying to get my HFT to work, but no luck with that either.

On the positive side I got my lighter working as I trapped a wire when I had it out for the Xcarlink.

Spoke to my mechanic today and filled him in on the fuse issue, so he'll hopefully be able to sort it on Monday.

The lighter trapped cable might be the cause of this Moon fingers crossed.

The lighter trapped cable might be the cause of this Moon fingers crossed.
That would be great, but it's on a different fuse, so is that possible?

It's brilliant being clueless. :(

That would be great, but it's on a different fuse, so is that possible?

It's brilliant being clueless. :(
:lol: It's possible as it might have been creating a serge or earth fault.
But I'm no Auto electrician so fingers crossed

:lol: It's possible as it might have been creating a serge or earth fault.
But I'm no Auto electrician so fingers crossed
Definitely give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

Glad I bought a box of fuses, I've gone through about 8 so far. :)

Dare I say I may have inadvertently found a solution, although I'm not sure what it is.

I've gone through about five fuses this evening, having pulled bits of trim off to see any obviously pinched wires in the areas I'd fiddled around in while trying to find somewhere to splice into for the parking sensors (still not done, this was an exploratory only :) )

It was blowing every time I shut the tailgate, so had a bit of a poke around in the trim around the speaker in the boot and tried rerouting a bundle of cables which may have been moving/pulled whenever the tailgate closed.

I've opened and closed the tailgate electrically about ten times with the driver's button and the fuse hasn't blown.

I'll get my mechanic to check out and secure the wires, just in case, but fingers crossed this is the solution.

Thanks for your support, Brett, much appreciated. :)

Hopefully moon this is the cause let me no the outcome.
That's what this forum is all about moon helping members lol.

Oh, Jesus, remind me never to do anything electrical ever again.

Went to start car this morning and doors wouldn't open as I have a flat battery.

The lights that flash when the tailgate opens have been flashing all night and still were so I've disconnected the battery.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening, and how it can be sorted?

Battery won't jump start off my wife's car.

I currently hate my car.

Oh, Jesus, remind me never to do anything electrical ever again.

Went to start car this morning and doors wouldn't open as I have a flat battery.

The lights that flash when the tailgate opens have been flashing all night and still were so I've disconnected the battery.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening, and how it can be sorted?

Battery won't jump start off my wife's car.

I currently hate my car.
Moon i think its time for the Auto Electrician to have a look.
By the way mate trying to jump start new cars is a deff no no and can cause all sorts of problems.
The best way is to charge the battery slowly over night.
As for the lights on all night i will go back to my 1st thought a fuse box problem.

Moon i think its time for the Auto Electrician to have a look.
By the way mate trying to jump start new cars is a deff no no and can cause all sorts of problems.
The best way is to charge the battery slowly over night.
As for the lights on all night i will go back to my 1st thought a fuse box problem.

You know what they say about a little knowledge...

I'll keep you updated. :(

You know what they say about a little knowledge...

I'll keep you updated. :(
Cheers mate i just hope its not an expensive fix and something simple.
Just had a thought try PM Jav as he is a wizard with car electrics and might have an answer.

Cheers mate i just hope its not an expensive fix and something simple.
Just had a thought try PM Jav as he is a wizard with car electrics and might have an answer.
Nowt to lose at this stage. :)

Jav look out, here I come.