What's new

DPF heat shield

kpf2018

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2D EX Auto
The DPF heat shield can tarnish greatly over time.
Rather than fork out for a new one, has anyone tried to refurbish one themselves?

It should be possible to prep and paint with temp resistant paint.

I've found a high temp paint on ebay that can withstand 650 degrees C. It's says 1-2 hours after applying to get temperature up to 160 to harden it. I'm planning on doing the top shield on the exhaust manifold and also the turbo as these are the ones you can see mostly.

With dpf removed will temps reach 160 on manifold as well as turbo?

A 2 litre diesel running full throttle at 4200rpm on a test bed has an exhaust temperature just after the manifold of 650°C.

That’s the peak temps inside the exhaust, obviously the materials are designed to contain, transfer and dissipate the heat so by the time it reaches the heat shield they should be far less. And under normal driving conditions where you also have the radiator fan extracting the heat and also some free air cooling, overall temps should be lower.

I couldn’t give you an accurate figure but I would say that the paint you’ve found is probably more than adequate. Just make sure your surface prep is good. Take some pics too, I might want to do this on mine.

Yep I'm going to degrease then wire brush then clean again. I'll take the heat shield out and spray a few coats on. The turbo I'll just spray the can into a container and brush it on with turbo in the car. If I can't get to all parts of the turbo I'll probably leave it incase only painting what I can see causes uneven heating which won't be good for it I would think.
You can build up coats every 15 mins then after 1-2 hrs drive it to harden the paint.

DECOCOLOR HEAT RESISTANT PAINT SPRAY HIGH TEMPERATURE STOVE EXHAUSTS BBQ VHT XHT
Off eBay I'm going to try in silver, it says in description the silver can withstand 650 degrees.
I'll post up some photos once done but not until I've sorted my rattling front caliper problem I've post on another thread on here

Just been out with car and after a good run the manifold heat shield highest temp I recorded with my infra red thermometer was around 85 degrees with the turbo 65 - 70 degrees. So it's going to be difficult to get the paint to harden like the can says.
If the heat shield fits in my oven then could try that. Or maybe see before hand how hot I could get heat shield to go with my heat gun on its highest setting

Probably better off using VHT Flameproof rather than just very high temp paint. I would prefer to err on the side of caution with regard to high temp coating especially seeing where they are situated.

The stuff I'm planning on using is VHT only the can says to harden it needs to reach 160 degrees. If it doesn't harden I'm guessing it will just start peeling in no time

Thx for the interesting replies.
Looks easy to remove - 4 bolts, and would look well if refurbished properly, although to remove rust, prepare, undercoat/prime, topcoat sounds less than straightforward due to the high temp.
I didn't want to spend the €123 on a new one :) @ https://www.lingshondaparts.com/par...modelid/1217/block/17TL4A01/blockref/E__3400/
but see they can be had from Japan for about €85 delivered from https://www.megazip.net/ OEM part no. 18120-RL0-G00
Might be best just to get a proper nice shiny new one.

It's not difficult at all to remove from car give a basic clean up and paint with the paint I mentioned. Only costs around 10 pounds and it may last a good while worth a try for the price

If you can find an old metal cabinet, you can make a curing oven, just cut a hole in it and put a hot air gun through the hole.
I advise the use of a thermometer so you can regulate the heat yourself by means of opening and closing another hole with a piece of tin.
Use of the kitchen oven is discouraged and even more so if you have a partner that uses it for cooking food.

But why do they design it so you have to remove the pre-cat O2 sensor to get the damn thing off?

When I couldn't find one for my new manifold I took my inspiration from NASA. Mineral wool + heavy duty alfoil +the chopped up old heat shield. It is extremely effective.

heatshield.jpg