What's new

DPF What is it?

I'm not so sure it will happen here. Not that NOx pollution science is disputable, but it's all about NOx concentrations and Sydney is fairly fortunate in that ocean breezes refresh the air over half the populated areas almost every evening. The Western suburbs aren't so fortunate, but there's not so much traffic congestion there despite the huge number of cars.

We haven't had CO2 taxes on fuel, and as a result the number of diesel cars per total registrations is half of what it is in the UK. Petrol is also fairly cheap here, and as diesels are a more expensive engine on outlay that forms a barrier. Honda didn't bother selling a diesel engine here until 2013,and then only sold a few hundred DTEC CR-Vs. I think has since withdrawn the diesel engine from the AU market due to poor sales.

That said, I think that diesels will probably disappear from available engine lines as HCCI engines take over the IC market. (with EV's making up the rest) This might take about 20 years, but NOx will probably go the way of Tetraethyl lead.

Well there's the solution, in London and other coastal cities, just mount fans pointing inland on every lamp-post :lol:

Keep hammering on about it and IT will happen!!!!

These people who stand for government need no telling what to do, they just follow the crowd in order to win votes. Where has that Guy Fawkes descendants got to?? Or do we have to wait for the HP to fall down!

freddofrog said:
Well there's the solution, in London and other coastal cities, just mount fans pointing inland on every lamp-post :lol:
Funnily enough, Beijing is building "air corridors" though the city to vent the city's endemic air pollution into downwind countryside.

Richard B said:
Funnily enough, Beijing is building "air corridors" though the city to vent the city's endemic air pollution into downwind countryside.
has anyone told Amazon , it might affect their deliveries

edgeoftime said:
Keep hammering on about it and IT will happen!!!!

These people who stand for government need no telling what to do, they just follow the crowd in order to win votes. Where has that Guy Fawkes descendants got to?? Or do we have to wait for the HP to fall down!
anyone fancy starting a petition :eek:

I simply find it amazing that a government would allow a certain type of car to be sold, then after the sale, they decide you cannot drive in an area that you were previously allowed to drive at the time of purchase!

I could see that happen in countries like China or Russia, but in the U.K. (London), that is absurd!

It goes to show how short sighted our elected leaders are, hoping that technology will always keep improving to put more and more sticking plasters over the pollution our species creates. The only hope is nuclear fusion, limitless low-pollution electrical power, bye bye to all fossil fuels for heating and transport.

There's a giant fusion reactor sitting in the sky. We just need to get better at processing, storing and distributing the output on a shorter than geological time scale.

Richard B said:
There's a giant fusion reactor sitting in the sky. We just need to get better at processing, storing and distributing the output on a shorter than geological time scale.
Thats fine for you lot down there, what about us in the civilised part?? LOL

You'd think it would be a matter of sunshine wouldn't you. But it seems it's more a matter of willingness to invest. The world's leading solar nation is actually Germany, which produces 38,250 Megawatts in solar. Australia ranks 8th, with 4,130 Megawatts.

For a country to become fully solar for all its energy needs, the area required is roughly equal to the amount of road surface.

With solar you can make clean fuels such as syngas that can be stored and transported. Say Europe set up solar syngas plants all over North Africa, with pipelines running back to Europe. It would make for an infinite energy future, and do something the inequality in job prospects / infrastructure development between Europe and North Africa that is behind the refugee crisis.

We're seeing more and more solar farms popping up here in Kent all the time.

I suppose a lot of it does down to return on the original investment, both in terms of financial outlay, and the environmental impact of producing and maintaining the equipment and infrastructure.

Goodluckmonkey said:
I suppose a lot of it does down to return on the original investment, both in terms of financial outlay, and the environmental impact of producing and maintaining the equipment and infrastructure.
I think that this is the big problem with solar panels, AFAIK their lifetime, relative to other types of generator (wind or gasturbine) is limited.

The cheapest source of fuel will always win. Right now, that is still Oil, but someday, it will cost more than others.

Hi. Does anyone know can I blank EGR valve and remap ECU and leave DPF in place? Or does it make damage for DPF?

You can but it will kill your DPF even quicker

Hi F6HAD I drive a 44 tonne artic truck and we’ve had adblue on diesel trucks for almost 10 years. Whilst you are correct in saying it’s animal **** (urea based) after it was made mandatory for trucks after euro 4 engines the manufacturers had to make urea synthetically as it used to be sourced from sheeps **** as there wasn’t enough. Also 5 out of the 6 main truck manufacturers use adblue for emmissions and particulate filtering whereas one uses exhaust gas recirculation only....a word to the wise you never want to run out of adblue as most modern truck engines( and I presume new expensive Audi’s) go into limp mode and normally requires a “tecnichian rest”.

Thanks I'm aware of that.. and an audi will not start when it hits zero miles remaining.. it does give you a countdown from 1500 miles though.