What's new

Driver's seat, how should it feel?

Tim559011

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2005
My 2005 Accord ctdi has done nearly 160K. I've only driven 1000 miles of that. I'm wondering how the driver's seats wear, in general. Mine looks to be in great shape, (it's the suede design, not full leather) but it feels like the seat is not fully supportive at the base of my spine. However I don't have a new seat to compare it to, and it does feel pretty much like the passenger seat which presumably is much less worn.
I wonder if anyone else has a comment on the comfort of the driver's seat on long distance drives, or experience of reconditioning the seat, or knowledge of the seat's construction, or tips on improving comfort?
I will be driving to the south of France in April, that's why I'm thinking about the comfort factor!
Thanks.
Tim M.
PS, I'm 6' 1" and weigh 92kg !

I'm smaller and lighter, and drive a 2006 with 100K miles. Full leather seats. I've done about 3000 miles in the car.

The seats in my car are great. On long drives I am significantly less worn out than if I had done the same drive in my 94 Accord. The back support can be pointed at exactly the right spot on my back, and even when it's 40 degrees (and it has been for a few days lately), jumping in the the car and driving off is fine.

I position the seat so my left leg has good control over the friction point of the clutch-arc.

I have a 04, and also find the lumbar support far too high. Almost feel like I need to drop the seat down and sit on a cushion.
The relationship between the arm rest and steering wheel etc. is typical honda and spot on, but the seat's poor.

Thanks folks.
I agree with Matt that the arm rest in relation to the steering wheel is fabulous. When I discovered that the arm rest slid forward to create that perfect resting place for my left arm I praised Honda to high heaven!
I find the lumbar support perfect as well so no problems with lower back support. It's just that I feel the seat part of the seat has lost some strength right at the crease point with the back rest. It's not terrible, but I thought to ask others for their experience. I'd hate to introduce a support cushion as they spoil the 'sleek interior' appearance.
Thanks for your input.
Tim M

Agreed. I've found a happy compromise with the lumbar supporthe only partially out, and found the correct seat angle to compliment it.

It may, however be a case that after all these miles, the accord's bent me to fit it's seat.

Could be a ploy from honda to make me fit no other car, so I keep buying from them?