What's new

Driveshaft rebuilding

Swallow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord mk7 ctdi ex
Hi all. I've got driveshaft issues. Have been aware of it for a while but it's getting progressively worse. Judder under acceleration, feels like I'm on a cross channel ferry, pulling out of port...
I've read as many threads on here as I can find. I fear the price of whole new driveshaft from Honda.
Can anyone explain to me, is it possible to recondition my driveshafts, rather than buying new ones?
Many thanks, Tom

People have had good results with pattern parts, others say they are no good.

You can replace the CV (outboard) joint, but it's normally the inner joint/cup that wears in my experience and not usually rebuilt with a kit.

I used a pattern part on my old Avensis, got it from a jap breakers that also did new shafts, brand new not even recon. It wasn't too expensive and it was a bank holiday so few options. I put it in and two weeks later it got noisy and I had vibration, took it out and the outer joint was wobbling around like it had done 300,000 miles! had no bloody grease in it! it came fully prepared ready to fit so to maintain warranty I was not allowed to open up the boots prior to fitting to inspect, was ***ured they were good shafts. Ended up returning it, going to my factors and blagging the lowest price on a shaftec unit which turned out to be much better quality that I had expected and fitted spot on, no issues.

Does anyone do the intermediate shaft?

My diesel could do with one, but the Honda price is about a third of the value of the car.
Hard to justify now I only do a few thousand miles a year.

Thanks All. Now, is driveshaft replacement a job for the DIYer? Any good how-to's about?

Dunno what spanner rating it'd get, but I reckon if you're comfortable changing a broken spring, you could do a driveshaft with a couple of swear words thrown in.

My recommendation is to buy a 3/4" Breaker bar and impact socket for the driveshaft nuts.
My 1/2" exploded as someone had rattle-gunned them up to approximately 10 ugga-duggas.

Reckon I had north of 700lbft of torque at the socket before the knuckle on my Breaker bar committed Hari kiri though.

Or an impact wrench will blast off nuts

sent using tapatalk

Goodluckmonkey said:
Does anyone do the intermediate shaft?

My diesel could do with one, but the Honda price is about a third of the value of the car.
Hard to justify now I only do a few thousand miles a year.
I thought I had seen one on fleabay? might look again later.......

ScoobyDoo said:
I thought I had seen one on fleabay? might look again later.......
Is it the "44500-SEF-E00" with the bearing in the mount? just the bearing gone/going? I think I saw the shaft at around £250 but can't find it now but can find the bearing.

The splines wear out on the end which causes the judder at 20 and 60mph.

Actually managed to find a near new one earlier as it hadnt even polished the splines. Looks like the car just had new parts and then for whatever reason (p/x, accident) went for dismantling. No corrosion on the shaft, or the attached o/s outer driveshaft either.
Spoken to the seller and he ***ures me there's no slack where the two join.

Got lucky by the looks of it (will see for sure when it arrives)

There are loads on there with the ***ociated o/s driveshaft, just need to know that there's no wobble at the join.

OK cool. Interesting no after market has made one yet since it seems common. Maybe there's a gap in the market there! I find when there's a common issue someone somewhere in the EU usually finds a way of getting them made/imported etc but this one seems to be a hard find.

Because people change the outer shafg and the proble vibration mostly goes away, but as the halfshaft's already worn, the problem's only half solved, and the new outer driveshaft cup wears out in a fraction of the time as it's running on worn splines.

I'd rather do a proper job, then a short term fix, and sell the car, like most people would.

I see, yes my OCD always drives me to do these things properly too, even if I'm selling it as I would not want someone to do that to me and I can't do that to someone else either, leaving hidden gremlins and so on.

Totally. I reckon I'm down to about 4k miles a year from 30k now, but just can't be happy with half a job in this instance.

Ha me too, I used to do 50k a year, now based 5 miles from home and no longer in the field but still keep the motor maintenance tip top.