What's new

Driveshaft recommendations?

Toured

Reaction score
Car
2003 Tourer 2.4
Last year I had to replace the timing chain on my 2.4 exec Tourer as it had stretched and jumped (exhaust 90 degrees out and inlet a further 70 degrees out), luckily absolutely no damage so expect there is valve clearance as I couldn't find any info anywhere. The new chain resulted in a youthed and very spritely car that drove like a new one.

Earlier this year I had to get a new clutch fitted and used Johnsons Honda in Milton Keynes, not cheap but fixed price (all other garages were eerring and uummming due to the age of the car being 20 years). On collection, checked the biting point and BANG, no drive. Turns out the new chain and clutch were just too much for a corroded Drivers side drive shaft. Honda shaft was expensive and not available (it was saturday and I needed the car mid week) so they gave me a curtesy car for the weekend at no extra cost. I got hold of the only shaft that was available anywhere and the garage changed it for me on the Monday morning, again at no extra cost. Apparently corrosion under the balancing weight is not uncommon.

Now the problem. I knew it was a cheap driveshaft and wouldn't last long and I'm not expecting quality, it was a quick fix. It didn't have a balancing weight and although I was told it wasn't necessary. It obviously was as a vibration between 60-65mph almost instantly resulted. It's not always easy to drive through the vibration range and probably isn't helping the joints or suspension.

So I now have two options:
1. I have two honda CV joints in good condition but no shaft, so hope I fiind a second hand shaft in goodish condition and swap the joints - suspect its going to be an impossible mission unless luck is on my side and one magically turns up
2. Try and find an aftermarket driveshaft with a balancing weight that doesn't vibrate - but where to start

So it's the outer drivers side driveshaft - does anyone have any recommendations on brands that have a balancing weight and do not vibrate and I won't have to change again just after the warranty expires?