What's new

Drone like sound

Hondata76

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Auto
Hi Guys, I am enjoying my Accord so far and November will be a year since owning it after switching from Lexus nothing major has gone wrong as i did some preventative services like auto gearbox oil change brake fluid, spark plugs discs, pads and Tyres but over the past few days I am experiencing some strange noise which i can explain as sounding drone like or helicopter when tyres are warm and driving around 45 mph and over the noise increases as speed does.

i popped it to my local garage who took a look and diagnosed it as being near side wheel bearing the suggested i change my rear tyre as its was slightly worn on the inner edges and see if it clears it but its been a few days and issue still there. car still drives ok but just not like before. so my question is was their diagnosis spot on and if so is it labour intensive to change the rear wheel bearing?

reason why i ask is he said it might need a press machine which can take up to 3 hours but watching a few vids on youtube on a couple of guys changing theirs on america version accord took less than 30 mins with no press machine involved as the wheel bearing was a whole unit i.e old one came off and new one bolted on. is this the same version for the CL9 Saloon Accords? Is this the right part?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/wheel-bearing-and-wheel-hub

Hondata76 said:
Hi Guys, I am enjoying my Accord so far and November will be a year since owning it after switching from Lexus nothing major has gone wrong as i did some preventative services like auto gearbox oil change brake fluid, spark plugs discs, pads and Tyres but over the past few days I am experiencing some strange noise which i can explain as sounding drone like or helicopter when tyres are warm and driving around 45 mph and over the noise increases as speed does.

i popped it to my local garage who took a look and diagnosed it as being near side wheel bearing the suggested i change my rear tyre as its was slightly worn on the inner edges and see if it clears it but its been a few days and issue still there. car still drives ok but just not like before. so my question is was their diagnosis spot on and if so is it labour intensive to change the rear wheel bearing?

reason why i ask is he said it might need a press machine which can take up to 3 hours but watching a few vids on youtube on a couple of guys changing theirs on america version accord took less than 30 mins with no press machine involved as the wheel bearing was a whole unit i.e old one came off and new one bolted on. is this the same version for the CL9 Saloon Accords? Is this the right part?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/wheel-bearing-and-wheel-hub
I had this wrum wrum sound like when going over 50 mph as well so I changed the rear hubs and it's quite now I needed new break discs so all done at the same time,my dust shields were in poor condition so I took them off too [emoji106]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The brake pad wear indicators can make noises that sound like a worn wheel bearing. So can the splash shield fouling the rear disc/drum, at least on tourer models. But I ***ume we discussing a CL9 saloon model?

Thanks for reply guys yes its for saloon model and i had my pads changed at the same time as the the rear tyre but not cured it. Tomas is the rear hub same as rear wheel bearing?

Hi mate, that was earlier post as above...I have the same car and issue.. I've got a blueprint bearing/hub on its way..I changed the rear disks and pads earlier in the year so I'll bolt on the new hub and let you know if that solves the drone :)

Thanks Raffy mine still drives fine apart form the annoying drone like sound once wheels warms up. Please update me once you have the blueprint part fitted i think most garages quote high labour ***uming it needs pressing but a few vids on youtube for accord models in US was done in less than 30mins was a straight swap. I think its a whole unit so wont need pressing?

Hondata76 said:
I think its a whole unit so wont need pressing?
It bolts on, this is the complete part below, 4 bolt holes (the 5 studs hold the wheel)

002750915.jpg

Honda part number is 42200-sea-951, same part for all 7th gen saloons (not Tourer)

surf ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=honda+42200-sea-951&_sop=15

That's what I've got coming... I actually ordered my blueprint bearing/hub from Amazon for £75... I'll let you know how I get on.. Hopefully with pics and little swearing :)