What's new

Drop links

Maffro

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.4 EX
Hi guys,

Before I start moaning and complaining I thought I'd see if I was missing something....

Noticed my near side ARB drop link had popped the other day, managed to remove it (all by myself, mummy would be proud :p) quite easily. Now, is it just me or are these things startlingly weak? Considering its what connects the huge big anti roll bar to the suspension, whats with the daft plastic pots with their four pins pushed through? I dont want to start slating Honda obviously but at £50 odd for a genuine part they seem pretty pricey for something that appears to be a piece of lego with a metal casing.

Are they stronger than Im giving them credit for? Should I be looking at aftermarket parts? I dunno, just seems a very weak link in an otherwise meaty setup.

Feel free to shout at me if Im being stupid - Im certainly no mechanic...

Cheers

My nearside front has just gone and I just bought a pair for 14 quid. For 7 quid a side you cant complain really.

yesterday I've changed mine links as there was some knocking/cracking noise coming from the back , I've paid 18 pounds for pair from ebay instead of around 40 each oem part, and tbh I don't think so that oem part is much better quality then aftermarket ( I'm talking about this links only ) that it's worth to pay for that 4 times more because even if they'll broke I still can buy another ebay pair and I'm still saving money :)

I got ebay ones, They still going very strong. You can make your own high quality ones easily too

Aye, I saw the cheaper ones on Ebay. Just wondered if there was much difference in quality - not sure £50 notes is justifiable for something like a linkage. I managed to score one on ebay - genuine part for £25 delivered. Suppose the reasoning is sound, pay less then even if they break again at some point you can replace them and still not have spent as much as on OEM. When I get round to doing the other 3 corners I'll just buy cheaper ones

I prefer the aftermarket ones as they are much easier to fit. OEM are pain to remove if they brake, I had to drill thru bolt and snap it to replace it. Did the rear, now I got the front to do as well :) Dan

Tbh I don't like oem droplinks as I hate the Allen key bit that always rounds

I get mine from dingbro, they're delphi ones and they use a spanner near the ball to hold the shaft which is a much better idea, also they just feel a lot more stronger and hard wearing

Sorry to hijack this but just got my car in for service and was told i have to replace both front drop links.

are these ok for my 7th gen I-ctdi?
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Honda-Accord-2003-09-FRONT-STABALISER-DROP-LINK-RODS-x2-/360341460857?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e6065779#ht_1231wt_1037

Sorry to hijack this but just got my car in for service and was told i have to replace both front drop links.

are these ok for my 7th gen I-ctdi?
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Honda-Accord-2003-09-FRONT-STABALISER-DROP-LINK-RODS-x2-/360341460857?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e6065779#ht_1231wt_1037

They will be fine mate.

Lesson learnt. They looked so good, oh yeah and the price! Man three times cheaper than OEM! SOOOOO GOOOD.
Here is the story. Replaced one as original snapped. Used one of the many available on ebay. Within few months that snapped. Well I thought I still got the second one. So I fitted it yesterday, tighten up the nuts, put the wheel on and off I go! After 20 mins drive knocking sound from the rear. So at 9pm today I took off the wheel again and hey, drop link is loose! Well I though I will use some more force to tighten it up. And I did so. And I could do it all day long as it wasn't tightening anymore. The nut was just happily turning around. I coudnt even losen it. How did I get one off? I used a £1 flat head screwdriver to CUT THROUGH the nut. Went in like it was a butter. What do they use to manufacture these nuts and bolts? Aluminium? I got what I paid for. They say only two things are limitless. God's love and human stupidity. I can confirm one for sure. So need to order stabilizer links again. Oh joy :) Hope it helps you to decide and please disregard my previous comment. Dan

Also just read some feedback of that seller. Stay away mate. If you want aftermarket ones go for a good quality ones, dont make the same mistake I did. Dan

I was changing oil today, so thought I'll have a look at newly installed links, and guess what?... one was snapped already :ph34r: this is what you get for price of 16 pounds for a pair. I've sent message to the ebay seller that I want replacement as he is giving warranty, so we'll see what will be his answer. but it was last time when I got cheap ebay part

There was an article in Practical classics a couple of months ago about how to make your own from threaded bar and track rod ends...

Might be worth grabbing a back copy

Hmm, interesting. Just looking up DIY'ng drop links as they're harder to get for tourer it seems Mcgill Motorsport is a popular source for quality parts. Better quality than some EBay mild putty drop links. Purloining examples pictures from over here we have;

1302196706208.jpg

DSC00006.jpg