What's new

Dual mass flywheel

Michael Elders

Reaction score
Car
2.2dti Accord
I have a 06 reg Accord 2.2dti that at 72k has devoloped the most allarming noise and judder coming from the clutch when it is fully pressed, Honda have told me it is the "Duel Mass Clutch Plate " that needs replacing at a cost of £1700, (Including new clutch )
have had the car from new with 7 years of use without missing a beat, not even a bulb out! but i cant afford that sort of cost (Unemployed), and dont want to part with it as apart from this its in mint condition
Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheper parts set that i can get fit by my local garage, michael.elders@tesco.net
My location is BD13 west yorkshire

Thanks

well changing a DMF is labour intensive, so you are looking at about 6+ hours of labour at least (open to correction)

I got no idea how much a DMF costs but i imagine several hundred pounds or so.

either way it will cost upwards on £500/600/700+ from a local garage for this work.

other guys on here better placed for thoughts of course.

labour is the worst part and expect to be charged the guts of 400gbp from a local garage.

I have a 06 reg Accord 2.2dti that at 72k has devoloped the most allarming noise and judder coming from the clutch when it is fully pressed, Honda have told me it is the "Duel Mass Clutch Plate " that needs replacing at a cost of £1700, (Including new clutch )
have had the car from new with 7 years of use without missing a beat, not even a bulb out! but i cant afford that sort of cost (Unemployed), and dont want to part with it as apart from this its in mint condition
Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheper parts set that i can get fit by my local garage, michael.elders@tesco.net
My location is BD13 west yorkshire

Thanks
When I had my 2004 CTDI Accord my clutch went. I had a new clutch and just in case of future problems, a new DMF fitted as well by my local garage as they were cheaper and I knew they knew what they were doing. The parts were aftermarket made by Blue Print. I kept the car for another 30k miles plus, still running with no problems before I sold it. All in all, the cost was nearly £1000, but a lot cheaper than a Honda garage would charge. I know, still an awful lot of money when you are unemployed. Good luck on the job search mate.

^ what they said

if you want to get the price for an OEM flywheel, start here

then you'll get to a page like this

here is the diagram and parts list for the flywheel and clutch set. Not sure if this will be the same on your car but price for flywheel on this year/model is £922

Prices include VAT and are dealer prices. If you want the Honda part numbers, remove "_pfk" from the URL and press enter to refressh the link

There is an Afiliatte called Hondcroft Honda aka "HH" which offers 10% discount and free postage, but you won't be able to see the Afiliates section in the forum until you've made a few more posts

As the other guys have said, labour will be the most part of the cost unfortunately as the front subframe has to be lowered, but you can save a bundle by getting an LUK dual mass flywheel from Euro Car Parts (LUK make the part that Honda use) - from time to time they have offers on and I've seen discounts of 40% - they are currently showing 15% off all clutch parts.

Euro Car Parts - Currently showing the LUK DMF at £467.94 minus 15% if you use the code CLUTCH15

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Robin

Just like to say Thanks for all the info and help, much apreciated gents.
Mick
Chek out this link as well, I have ordered full kit from there two weeks ago and they delivered it very fast, it was cheapest that I have found:
http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-22-diesel-clutch-kit-luk-flywheel-p-1395.html

This might be your DMF gone as well as the clutch.
But you will not no until its taken apart.
There is tolerance measure given by Honda to see if the DMF is still in spec.
So I would get this checked before you spend your money

This might be your DMF gone as well as the clutch.
But you will not no until its taken apart.
There is tolerance measure given by Honda to see if the DMF is still in spec.
So I would get this checked before you spend your money
I'm pretty sure it's a major task to do this - pretty much the same as replacing the clutch anyway.

well that link by Andrius in #8 is the full kit including DMF for only £536.39 Inc VAT, incredible value IMO

do petrols (k20/k24) have a DMF ?

i have heard of DMF upgrades, is this due to a lighter part fitted? seems expensive upgrade if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure it's a major task to do this - pretty much the same as replacing the clutch anyway.

That is correct Jon but all i was saying there is no point buying the DMF if its only the clutch at fault.Odds on the DMF is the one at fault hear so you could get one just in case.But make sure if its not shot you can get a full refund on the part.

do petrols (k20/k24) have a DMF ?

i have heard of DMF upgrades, is this due to a lighter part fitted? seems expensive upgrade if that's the case.
not as standard in the 7th gen, and AFAIK not in the 8th gen either,

I would have thought it would be worth changing dmf and clutch at the same time regardless if one is less worn than the other to save labour cost a year or 2 down the line.

^ for the price in the link in #8 I'd agree, but then our cars are petrol so not an issue ;)

CG Motorsport Single Mass Flywheels are now available, along with the necessary sprung clutch plates. They still use the standard Honda/LUK (weak) pressure plate, but a stronger unit promised for 'this summer'.

jon. I would never run a smf on the accord.. would be awful to drive!
Not with the sprung clutch plate, apparently. Several Civic 2.2 i-CTDi owners have been brave enough to try, here's a Civinfo thread by a very experienced and well-respected member... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cg-motorsport/87311-smf-kevlar.html

More Civinfo/CG Motorsport clutch info on this subforum... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cg-motorsport/