What's new

DVD drive or the disc - no satnav

-Rich-

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer Auto
When I first got the car a year ago the sat nav would work occasionally, I used to get different error messages, it has a copy of the Honda disc not a genuine one.

Once the warmer weather arrived it worked almost everytime with no issues but since it's got cold again it won't work at all now. I always get the same message saying the disc caused an error or something similar. Sometimes if I press the A/C or radio button it will also reboot itself.

I've cleaned the disc and that's fine so could it be the drive doesn't like cold weather or the laser has dirt/condensation on it or it's just faulty?

I've seen a thread with a link to a company that sells new (copied) discs but can't find it, although I'm reluctant to buy one in case it still doesn't work.

Does this happen to anyone else?

it's a common problem, loads of other threads about it, the unit does not like copies, only OEM and a couple of high quality brand copies will work. IIRC some bad copies can also cause knock-on problems with the head.

I've seen other threads about dodgy discs causing issues but so far this has been temperature related or maybe it's just a coincidence. I'll try and find that other thread with that link on.

there are lots and lots of threads about it, some about units that do not work at all, some about units that are intermittent.

I have had my car since January 2006, and even the unit in my car is dodgy for a while if I take the OEM disc out and put it back in, so now it never comes out, ever.

Basically, it's not worth messing about with the discs IMO, it's cheaper/simpler/better to get a separate sat nav.

Alternatively, if I want to go somewhere, I check on google maps, then I look on the sat-nav, and if the place is not on the sat-nav, I then look at the nearest location in google maps, and use that in the sat-nav, and a print-out from google maps for the last bit.

freddofrog said:
Alternatively, if I want to go somewhere, I check on google maps, then I look on the sat-nav, and if the place is not on the sat-nav, I then look at the nearest location in google maps, and use that in the sat-nav, and a print-out from google maps for the last bit.
That's what I do as well, I don't use it for navigation just to look at the area and use my phone instead. But now I can't even see the maps but the most annoying bit is it keeps rebooting when I'm trying to adjust the A/C settings!

Looks like I'll have to live with it or buy a genuine disc.

-Rich- said:
That's what I do as well, I don't use it for navigation just to look at the area and use my phone instead. But now I can't even see the maps but the most annoying bit is it keeps rebooting when I'm trying to adjust the A/C settings!

Looks like I'll have to live with it or buy a genuine disc.
yeah it's really annoying that there is no way to turn the sat-nav off, even if you don't touch the "OK" icon on the screen and the screen goes blank, you can still hear the unit reading off the disc.

A new OEM disc costs a lot of money. IIRC a couple of threads say where to get good quality copies, but there are so many threads on this issue, could be difficult to find.