What's new

Dyno results

govtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
FD2
ok had it on the rollers today to see whats what with the breathing mods that ive got on (see signature) and befor i get it remapped at XOpower next week
. the results are in and well it seems that everytime i unboltted componets from the engine some of my horses left :blink: :)

IMG00066-20100825-1525.jpg

peak power 175.8 bhp @ around 7250rpm manufacturer spec 188bhp

peak torque 146ftlb @ around 3000rpm mnufacturer spec 164lbft

hmmmm, on an optimistic note the guy running the dyno said that he ran a stock celica 190 and it produced 170bhp - was he trying to make me feel better.

so im puzzled by the figures are they not reading right and im actually around 195hp or is my engine knackered? anyone put a stock CL9 on a dyno???
anyhow i will be taking it back after the XO power tuneup to see whats what

Dan, those figures really aren't too bad.

Bear in mind there are far too many variables to consider and I've never really known a stock car to achieve the manufacturer quoted figures. Everything from the density of the air, to the quality of fuel in your tank and condition of filters.. right down to the dyno itself will determine the figures.

Remember that manufacturers achieve their figures in perfect conditions.

The best thing to do, is to have it dyno'd on the SAME dyno AFTER the remap to understand your gains.

Also, those figures are at the flywheel right?

Sorry wait, just looked at your mods - are those the power figures WITH the mods or after you took them off? Not clear from your original post.

Oh dear that is shocking :blink:

Wonder what stock one would dyno at :)

Wouldn't power be down a bit anyway after 5 years wear and tear? Plus as Fahad said, manufacturer figures are always optimistic. Anyone see the top gear where Hammond put his GT500 on the dyno? lol, he was gutted.

The figures are with the mods listed in the sig, to get a baseline befor the remap. After each of the mods i always felt there was a slight gain which if the figures are to be believed and are a true and accurate representation then that would mean i was way down on the manufacturers figures to begin with ;) but hey ho guess we will find out how the remap actually affects these figures.

I have my car serviced according to the schedual at honda dealer and i change the oil and filter between services ie every 6K miles so she should be in relatively good nick i wonder if some one has swapped in a 2.0ltr lump without me noticing ;) lol

The figures are with the mods listed in the sig, to get a baseline befor the remap. After each of the mods i always felt there was a slight gain which if the figures are to be believed and are a true and accurate representation then that would mean i was way down on the manufacturers figures to begin with :unsure: but hey ho guess we will find out how the remap actually affects these figures.

I have my car serviced according to the schedual at honda dealer and i change the oil and filter between services ie every 6K miles so she should be in relatively good nick i wonder if some one has swapped in a 2.0ltr lump without me noticing :ph34r: lol
What are you talking about? I don't have an extra 400cc. You're clearly delusional...

:lol: :blush:

I have an issue with dyno dynamics dyno's i think they're probably the hardest to setup for all their variables. I had my vti on a dyno dynamics machine a few years ago and it made 117.9bhp(removed oz please fella-- cj) My car had 30k on the clock and was fresh as hell! Every other car on that day was at least 40% down too. Gerry off of performance tek had his K20 EM2 make 160bhp! Again Also my mate with a jdm eg6 SiR2 made 119.1bhp again! Needless to say we were all refunded.

Turned out a week later they admitted there were a few settings not quite right with the dyno leading to the lower figures. Different dyno machines will give slightly different results. Get it on the rollers at XO before and after to guage the difference in dynos.

try out different dyno mate,im sure you'll get different figures.....

i guess it's a bit late now but did you do a base run without any mods? if you were really inclined I'd take off the mani and TB and put the standard one on and try again..did you also clean out the filter before you went? Brakes not binding?

Again each dyno is different and are really used as a base for comparision and looking at the graph

i think im going to treat the results with pinch of salt. and as al says just use it as a guage of changes hell with all my mods the engine must be making at least 4000bhp lol. i messed with an old 328i coupe off a roundabout on the way home and took him with relative ease maybe his car was only making 100bhp :)

Oz: a vti making only 117bhp, thats only 17 more than the misses jazz :) yeah right my bottom, they are proper little rockets them vti's

aye, joke innit. They're 158bhp standard. Mine had a spoon panel filter, modded resonator to take a cold feed, dc sports decat and a jdm bling rsr exmag 2.36" bore exhaust. 117bhp, orite pal....! Lol! Should've been 165bhp minimum.

Hi there,

On the manufacturer's spec, they are quoting power based on whats on crank. You then lose power through transmission to the wheels. Typically you lose about 10+% of power on a manual gearbox and about 20+% on an automatic gearbox.

For example, my previous ride had 300bhp on spec. However on the dyno, it only came up as 224bhp. That's a 25% reduction.

Additionally, to be honest, your modifications are not extensive (no engine rebuild etc) and its a NA engine. So don't expect a massive gain after tuning.

Cheers.

Remember the honda figure is before they bolt anything on to the engine on a bench, Your mani will do very little without 100 cell cats or de cat pipes to remove any restreiction, and any flywheel figure is pure vanity what are you actually getting at the wheels mate.

Hi there,

On the manufacturer's spec, they are quoting power based on whats on crank. You then lose power through transmission to the wheels. Typically you lose about 10+% of power on a manual gearbox and about 20+% on an automatic gearbox.

For example, my previous ride had 300bhp on spec. However on the dyno, it only came up as 224bhp. That's a 25% reduction.

Additionally, to be honest, your modifications are not extensive (no engine rebuild etc) and its a NA engine. So don't expect a massive gain after tuning.

Cheers.

This is why I asked if it was at the flywheel. If it's at the wheels, then actually those figures are damn impressive.

Andy - I don't think the figures they quote officially are those on the bench run, they're actually dyno'd..

My take is if you get a good figure your always happy and if its naff your not happy its human nature.

I dont buy all this bad dyno ect.... ;)

I have an issue with dyno dynamics dyno's i think they're probably the hardest to setup for all their variables. I had my vti on a dyno dynamics machine a few years ago and it made 117.9bhp(removed oz please fella-- cj) My car had 30k on the clock and was fresh as hell! Every other car on that day was at least 40% down too. Gerry off of performance tek had his K20 EM2 make 160bhp! Again Also my mate with a jdm eg6 SiR2 made 119.1bhp again! Needless to say we were all refunded.

Turned out a week later they admitted there were a few settings not quite right with the dyno leading to the lower figures. Different dyno machines will give slightly different results. Get it on the rollers at XO before and after to guage the difference in dynos.

hey oz and govtec, as far as i know XO haven't got a rolling road.

i think they're gettin one in the near future

we are currently waiting on a replacemend dyno from land and sea dynos as old unit got damaged . its currently in transit to uk