What's new

Earthing points

Jamie s

Members
Reaction score
Car
52 2.0 SE Exec
Hi,

Im having a issue with my gen 6 that i can see all lights dimming with the indicators flashing ect ect, it has had a new battery and the alternator is charging correctly so im thinking a grounding issue. So i'm hoping that someone can point me to all the earthing points so i can check them or if anyone knows of what could be causing this.

Thanks

Jamie S

Battery Terminal to slam panel.

Headlights to inner wing, looks like a metal spider!

Nearside strut-top to block, possibly chassis leg can't remember.

Might be more but I can't be bothered to go out in the cold and look haha. I would start with the headlight one

Thanks for that, tried them this weekend and it has made no difference. I ran a volt meter overt the earthing points and nothing was showing. Any other ideas?

^ when you say "all lights dimming" do you mean headlights and front side-lights and rear side-lights too ?

All lights, dash to external, also the fan seams to loose power and dip slightly in speed as well when I come to a stop,but returns to full strength when I have stopped. The light situation also happens when the engine is not running.

that doesn't sound like an earth problem, there was a similar thread recently on the 7th gen where it's the MICU, I've no idea if there's an MICU on the 6th gen

I saw that as well, but i dont have any starting issues if i leave my car standing for a while, also at £500 for the part alone i think i may have to live with like i have done for the past 5 years!

On a plus note i cleaned the battery to gearbox mount up and at has made a difference to the idle to me.

Before

After

ah that looks good, with luck it could just be combination of several earth points then

Yes sorry, I see you already used a voltmeter and nothing was showing... so if there was very little measurable voltage between the battery negative terminal and any point on the vehicle body (with the engine off, but lots of things things turned on) then there isn't an earth problem and you'd be better off looking at the feed circuits.

Jon_G said:
if there was very little measurable voltage between the battery negative terminal and any point on the vehicle body (with the engine off, but lots of things things turned on)
sorry to ask, have you checked like this Jamie ?