What's new

ECU Failure ?

brabourn

Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 i-ctdi
Hello, Honda Accord 2008 ictdi 2.2. This started with the main VSA light coming on and immobiliser green key light on and cranking but not starting when engine warm, when cold its ok.
If I take the key out then try again, { a few times} eventually it starts. When the engine is running everything is ok, no problems.
So, I took it to a Honda dealer for a diagnostic £114. They said its either the immobiliser unit or the CPU and recommended immobiliser as the cheapest option. When asked if it is still the same after immobiliser fitted do I get the cost back, told no as electrical parts are non returnable. Cheapest option to be paid in advance.. immobiliser fitted + labour £293.20.
Honda phoned later to say immobiliser fitted, tested and all ok. Collected the keys went to the car park, tried to start wouldnt start, same as when I left it. Back on diagnostic, showing multiple faults tech now thinks its the cpu but will send result to honda for ****ysis. So £400 down, car still the same, any ideas anyone?

Unfortunately problems like this are often quite difficult to solve without some competent auto electrician involvement. It’s a job beyond the average skill of a Honda dealer who are really only good at fitting parts.

thankfully these types of issues are rare on a Honda. Based on the info provided, it sounds like either a faulty/damaged ecu or a wiring break somewhere.

if you can get yourself a secondhand ecu (cheap enough on eBay) someone like myself can clone it for you, probably a lot cheaper than a dealer new part.

personally I would get a second opinion from an auto electrician first..

Unfortunately problems like this are often quite difficult to solve without some competent auto electrician involvement. It’s a job beyond the average skill of a Honda dealer who are really only good at fitting parts.

thankfully these types of issues are rare on a Honda. Based on the info provided, it sounds like either a faulty/damaged ecu or a wiring break somewhere.

if you can get yourself a secondhand ecu (cheap enough on eBay) someone like myself can clone it for you, probably a lot cheaper than a dealer new part.

personally I would get a second opinion from an auto electrician first..
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking along those lines myself but having a prob locating the ecu. All that is in the center consul is the airbag controller but there is a black box behind it towards the ashtray. Will take that off tomorrow and have a look see.

On this car it’s somewhere behind the glovebox area from memory. I’ve never actually needed to remove one myself we always program them via obd, but for cloning they need to be removed and opened to be flashed on a special jig.

Thanks for your help F6HAD foun it under the glove box bolted to the side in the space next to the blower fan. Cheers