What's new

EGR Plate cleaning

Davemission

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th gen 1.8 Sport
Hiya guys - anyone got any clues as to how you gain access to the egr plate on my 52 plate 1.8 Sport? All the relevant nuts and bolts etc look pretty self explanitory, but that wiring! The plastic top of the fuel rail is attached at either end by a thick conduit of wiring and I just can't see where it all ends up! There are also some pretty heavy duty looking rigid pipes which I daren't upset as I ***ume they contain fuel under pressure. I've seen the 'Eric the Car Guy' vid on here but all the aforementioned tricky bits have already been done prior to his tutorial.
Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated fellas - thanks in advance!

I had exactly the same problem, plus more because of my LPG injectors!

LuvMyAccord has got a very good guide on how to do the egr plate, do a search in the 6th gen section, it's definitely there.

I tried, and bottled it, ended up taking it to Holdcroft Honda & they did it for £50

Ive been looking for the link to this DIY too, cant find it :(

I am rubbish at searching though, i think all the heavy metal i listen too is destroying my brain functions :lol:

Here is Simon's how-to. http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1734-cleaning-egr-plate/page__p__20592__hl__%2Bcleaning+%2Begr+%2Bplate__fromsearch__1#entry20592

It will give you the general idea and I found it invaluable along with eric the car guy's you tube video. BUT, this is for the 2.0 and the 1.8 is very different. I did mine and it was a pain because of the wiring loom. you can release the clips from it and unbolt the fuel rail. you then lift it off the injectors very very carefully. I did not remove the rail completely as it was going to be too much of a pain in the a*s so once i lifted it from the injectors and removed them i left it in place. Once the injectors are removed there is plenty of room to move around and remove the plate and clean the ports.

Andy

Hiya guys - anyone got any clues as to how you gain access to the egr plate on my 52 plate 1.8 Sport? All the relevant nuts and bolts etc look pretty self explanitory, but that wiring! The plastic top of the fuel rail is attached at either end by a thick conduit of wiring and I just can't see where it all ends up! There are also some pretty heavy duty looking rigid pipes which I daren't upset as I ***ume they contain fuel under pressure. I've seen the 'Eric the Car Guy' vid on here but all the aforementioned tricky bits have already been done prior to his tutorial.
Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated fellas - thanks in advance!

Hi Simon,

It is fairly ok to remove some of the cabling. As for fuel under pressure, while there is pressure in the system it is very low compared to today's cars with direct injection or diesels which are extremely high pressure. when you remove the rail some fuel will come out as the system depressurizes but once you have a rag handy there will be very little mess

Many thanks for your thoughts and your time guys - I think I'll give it a go over the wkend. Hope it makes a difference because my mpg and performance are pretty pants at the mo...

I read a tip for depressurising the system other than relieving it via the fuel pulsation dampener (and having to replace the washers), is to pull the fuel pump fuse out whilst the engine is running.

Then when its all back together, turn the key a few times and wait but don't crank it (you might be able to hear the pump) and that should repressurise the system - also check for fuel leaks at this point too.

There is a howto on another forum for the f20....Hope its ok to post here http://www.genaccord.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=833

I read a tip for depressurising the system other than relieving it via the fuel pulsation dampener (and having to replace the washers), is to pull the fuel pump fuse out whilst the engine is running.

Then when its all back together, turn the key a few times and wait but don't crank it (you might be able to hear the pump) and that should repressurise the system - also check for fuel leaks at this point too.

There is a howto on another forum for the f20....Hope its ok to post here http://www.genaccord.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=833

Thanks Andy- thats a brilliant find there mate- exactly what I was looking for! Very grateful sir :D

The link that is posted is from Leon. I've got his number, and am also on his site too.

I'll leave this on here for now, but i'll txt him and ask if he minds it being on here. If he'd rather then i'll have to delete the link...sorry guys.

The guide i posted up is for the ATR, and it much easier to do than any of the F series engines.