What's new

electric boot problem

bez7373

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord tourer
hi just bought my first accord tourer and im having a problem with electric boot ,when i press the key fob to open the boot will unlock and try to lift but seems to struggle under the weight of the boot.If i take some of the weight by lifting it will function normally and go to open position and close as it should off key fob.Any1 have any ideas what could be going on ?The tailgate light has not lit up on the dash and it will work correctly about 2 out of 10 times i would rather get it sorted before it damages anything else. cheers in advance mike

How does it feel when opening manually? Your gas struts may be shot and aren't providing any opening ***istance to the motor. Do a search (Google box, top right) for others that have had strut problems...

I had a similar problem, but for me the boot would open and stay open for a few seconds but then start to drop under its own weight and close again.
Seemed to be worse if I parked on an upward slope.
I got sick of the bruises on my head so got the gas struts replaced and it works perfectly every time now.
Wasn't cheap though...

hi just bought my first accord tourer and im having a problem with electric boot ,when i press the key fob to open the boot will unlock and try to lift but seems to struggle under the weight of the boot.If i take some of the weight by lifting it will function normally and go to open position and close as it should off key fob.Any1 have any ideas what could be going on ?The tailgate light has not lit up on the dash and it will work correctly about 2 out of 10 times i would rather get it sorted before it damages anything else. cheers in advance mike
If it stays up when its fully open than its not the struts, read this thread. Note however that is may not be the motor, it might be the hinges that need lubricating, or the motor mechanism might need greasing (it's all tucked up in the body behind the top left hinge)

edit: this thread has circuits and diagrams
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13156-another-tailgate-problem-tourer/

How does it feel when opening manually? Your gas struts may be shot and aren't providing any opening ***istance to the motor. Do a search (Google box, top right) for others that have had strut problems...
cheers for replies when opened manually it needs to be lifted all the way to top but if i let go half way will remain in that position without falling shut ,does feel stiff when lifting not sure if thats normal?Its as if it is just struggling to get the first bit of momentum to lift all the way up.