What's new

Engine check light

Werebear

Reaction score
Car
Honda accord 2.0
Honda accord vi 2.0 automatic. Engine check light keeps coming on. Have replaced both O2 sensors. Car seems to be driving fine would anyone have any ideas
Thanks

You probably know this already
Honda P0420 Causes
  • Faulty oxygen sensor
  • Worn and internally failing catalytic converter
  • Leak in exhaust system
If you've changed the O2 sensors and there's no leak then unfortunately it could be the centre one where the cat has worn and degraded.

Have you used cheap aftermarket o2 sensors? That’s most likely the cause

Decent O2 sensors are pricey for a reason, they tend to have some precious materials which are needed to generate an accurate unburnt oxygen reading. These cheaper sensors are most likely giving a false reading. Try getting some genuine second hand sensors.

The other thing you can try are lambda spacers. People who have decatted tend to use them to trick the ecu.

Thanks for the advice,this is all pretty new to me so appreciate it. Also in relation to what Grayedout was saying about the cat, I found a receipt for exhaust work which included a new catalytic converter so hopefully that isn't an issue.

Use genuine denso wideband oxygen sensors. I had the same issue years ago when I had my 6th gen. Life was simple and good back then....

Use genuine denso wideband oxygen sensors. I had the same issue years ago when I had my 6th gen. Life was simple and good back then....
Thanks for that, I looked at the sensor on the inlet manifold and it was Denso. I put some 30 quid intermotor sensor after the catalytic converter. Maybe this is the problem, it's not good enough quality.

Thanks for that, I looked at the sensor on the inlet manifold and it was Denso. I put some 30 quid intermotor sensor after the catalytic converter. Maybe this is the problem, it's not good enough quality.

Use genuine sensors.