What's new

Engine cooling fans

ampers

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ex manual
Hi,
I've noticed recently that when I turn on the ignition when the engine is either cold or has been turned off for say 10 minutes or longer, both radiater cooling fans are running.
Start the car and the fans switch off about 2 or 3 seconds.
After running the car till it has warmed up, if I switch off the engine and then turn the ignition back on the fans are running, this is without the engine over heating at all.
When fully warmed up the temperature gauge is below normal, between one third and half way.
No other symptoms or warning lights or messages.
Is this a problem or a potential one?
Cheers,
Ampers.

Sounds pretty normal. As long as the coolant looks clean and is topped up in the expansion tank, usually naturally sits half way between min and max, I topped mine up and it was back to halfway within a week and has stayed there ever since.

Have you got the aircon on? This might make the fans run as the aircon radiator is in front of the engine one, so if the car is stationary, it needs the fans to cool it. Press the aircon button, so that 'air con off' appears on the heater screen.

These engines are pretty bullet proof if serviced Bob, so dont worry.

Hi,
I had a good look today and found the following.
1 - Ignition on, engine running or not, with Air Con on or Air Con auto on, the rad cooling fans go into a phased mode, ie, running for about 10 seconds then off for about 10 seconds and so on.
2 - Ignition on, engine running or not, with Air Con Off, no rad cooling fan.
So am I right in saying all is normal especially with regard to post 2 above from richsprint?
Cheers,
Ampers.

Your testing has proven that the aircon requires the fans, when the car isnt moving.