What's new

engine cutting out while driving

Discodave

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Type S
One of my friends owns a gen 6 Accord Sport 1.8 (2000 plate) and has ask me to post this issue up:

Did you ever ask on the Honda forum if anyone has come across problem of engine cutting out while driving - problem only occurs very intermittently and seems to be cured by switching of then on again (which is a right pain when you are going around a corner in town).

I would be grateful for any help, I know alot about the the Gen 7 but nothing about the Gen 6 :unsure:

There was an issue with the ignition barrel on the 6th gen causing the same issue. Cant remember if it was an extended warranty thing but it sounds like a replacement will be required. Another possibility could be the coil pack. Have you done the usual basic checks first??? Filters, dizzy cap points etc etc?

Another common thing is the main relay, which seems give intermittent problems like the ones you state. Some had this problem previously...

Sounds more like ignition barrel...with the relay it turns over but won't fire.

cheers guys, I have pointed him to this thread, as you mention it does sound like a ignition barrel fault

i had the same issue. mine was the ignition switch. there was a recall on these. sometimes mine used to make a sound as if something is shorting out when i was turning the key around. it can be a bit scarry when it happens. happened to me on the motorway. luckily it started straight away. it does start to get worse over time. get him to sort it asap.

As has been said Dave, it's gonna be the ignition barrel mate. It's not an overly expensive job to replace though so that's the good news.

Pretty sure that will be ignition switch issues. The contacts inside the switch wear and short causing cut out issues. There was a honda recall for this problem, but even some of the repaired ones go on to fail again. Not overly expensive to fix, and maybe an hour and a half to do if you know what you are doing.

Just to add my experience to this - 3 weeks ago I had my ignition sorted by local Honda Dealer - Was a small component on back of ignition unit closest to steering column. Cost me €130 all in to replace but an instant fix - Was worth it for peace of mind/safety - It was an aful feeling when engine kept dying on motorway etc - Could prove fatal.

P.S. Maybe I should have argued it out and gotten it for free.....

Have done alot alot of research into this as i was on the verge of buying an Accord with this problem over the weekend. there was a massive recall on the ignition switch at the back of the barrel it is adviced to check with honda to see if yours has already been done or not. but the actual changing of the ignition switch your self is pretty simple there is endless amount of videos showing you how to do it. although it is more than likely that you would have to get the part from honda if you want a new one but but if you want a second hand one there is plenty around at the breakers comanies but then the problem could happen again.... Hope this helps....