What's new

engine cutting out

mikem

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
My 6th gen se exec has developed a strange problem. Started about 4 weeks ago when at the end of our culdesac it appeared to stutter and stall. For several turnovers it would not fire and then it went OK. 2 days later it would not start on the drive so called AA who arrived shortly thereafter and after several attempts it fired and ran OK. He said I had flooded it although I did not agree, but was glad to be away again.
a week later I got 400 yards from home and again it missed 3/4 times and died. Again it turned over but would not fire. Called AA again and was told sorry but busy may be an hour and a half. Three quarters of an hour in I tried it and it fired up first time.
Cancelled the AA andtook it to garage who could find no fault, it was running normal. They put a cleaner in the petrol tank and it has run OK until today when 300 yards from my door she put put putted and died. Again it turned over for 5 minutes and would not fire.
Called the AA again who arrived 45 minutes later and it fired first time with nothing done!!
Drove 2 miles to garage and left it with no problem.
It seems to be starved of fuel or spark but comes and goes. Always happened when engine cold in morning and never far from leaving home. Has anyone had a similar problem ?
Difficult to ****yse when problem is not present.

Mike just a thought if this only happens when cold it might be your MAF playing up.
Try cleaning it with the proper spray you can buy it for about £10.
Also was there any fault codes

Good point by Cliff if so then hear is a good guild.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13571-6th-gen-ignition-switch-replacement-guide/

Mike just a thought if this only happens when cold it might be your MAF playing up.
Try cleaning it with the proper spray you can buy it for about £10.
Also was there any fault codes
behaving like a **** but what is a maf?

ignition switch is a common enough problem, but also check with Honda to see if there's any recalls outstanding..... this could also be your problem...
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=3CD163689C3D3FA280256BB900268C60&freeText=Blank&tx=

looked up MAF and now know what it is and seems a likely suspect, will examine, thanks

You don't have a MAF as such on the 6th Gen. Its actually a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor. I'd agree with the ignition switch as the culprit.

Yep my bad Andy is correct its a map sensor not a MAF on the 6th gen :blush:

i would not recomend to use any cleaner additives to petrol anymore. you can end up with clogged fuel injectors. All trash and water from fuel tank goes to them directly. if wanna clean fuel injectors take them somewhere who has ultrasonic cleaning bath.

That doesn't mean that the ignition contacts still won't wear out over time. It very well could still be your problem....

Could the Main Relay be the cause? Have a Google for Honda Main Relay and see if the symptoms seem likely, it is a known soldering problem and sounds a bit similar.

Here is one site, but there are a few and on Youtube too.

http://techauto.awardspace.com/faq.html

Could be spark plugs need changing.
I had a very similar issue earlier in the year and it's gone away since changing spark plugs, and running a fuel system cleaner.

No probs! Thats a good channel that guy has if you like that sort of stuff ...I subscribed to it a wee while back. ;)

Off topic, but his F1 2014 engine explanation regarding the turbo, primarily the Energy Recovery System was quite interesting too.