What's new

Engine Dead? Scrap or fix?

Sounded horrible. Shouldn't of started it, If anybody advised such a thing they were wrong. Should have stripped it to investigate obviously it was something serious like main bearings or valvetrain .

Most likely a write off anyway by the way it sounded.

what would HH be able to do anyway.. not much now i doubt.

when i said engine code i meant the model of engine not a fault code. i have had no lights appear on the dash.. :huh:

Sounded horrible. Shouldn't of started it, If anybody advised such a thing they were wrong. Should have stripped it to investigate obviously it was something serious like main bearings or valvetrain .

Most likely a write off anyway by the way it sounded.
read the ***le of the thread and the first post ....and if it seized that quickly it was unfixable anyway fgs

what would HH be able to do anyway.. not much now i doubt.
Just following Brett's logic of "take it toa trusted garage" ..... I mean if the garage told you it was bent valves, and you drove it home, it shouldn't have died like that

is it seized now i.e. does it "turn over" at all on the starter motor ?

read the ***le of the thread and the first post ....and if it seized that quickly it was unfixable anyway fgs

Hence why I said it was probably a write off mate. If there was any chance for that engine it wouldn't of been by starting it.

Thanks

Just following Brett's logic of "take it toa trusted garage" ..... I mean if the garage told you it was bent valves, and you drove it home, it shouldn't have died like that

is it seized now i.e. does it "turn over" at all on the starter motor ?

Nothing.. dont even turn over, that would suggest to me some bits of metal have formed a loving relationship! :rolleyes:

Nothing.. dont even turn over, that would suggest to me some bits of metal have formed a loving relationship! :rolleyes:
In my experience of big end fails, they don't do that unless totally 100% dry of oil which would be very odd if there is oil in the engine.

To be seized and unturnable, and with that noise, I really do think that a valve had dropped into a cylinder and that would only have been easy to fix if the engine was stopped when the noise first happened, but even then it would have been a head-off job.

Out of interest, maybe questions we should have asked in the beginning (haven't seen them in the thread, might have missed them if they're there)
did the noise start suddenly
how long had you been driving that day when it happened
how far did you drive it in total since the noise started

In my experience of big end fails, they don't do that unless totally 100% dry of oil which would be very odd if there is oil in the engine.

To be seized and unturnable, and with that noise, I really do think that a valve had dropped into a cylinder and that would only have been easy to fix if the engine was stopped when the noise first happened, but even then it would have been a head-off job.

Out of interest, maybe questions we should have asked in the beginning (haven't seen them in the thread, might have missed them if they're there)
did the noise start suddenly
how long had you been driving that day when it happened
how far did you drive it in total since the noise started

There is def oil in there.. it was only serviced about a month before all of this..

did the noise start suddenly - it started quietly and got louder over the space of 2 days (with a week gap)

how long had you been driving that day when it happened - driven about 6 miles with the 'quiet noise' from my house to a mates to borrow the car (he didn't use it but it sat on his drive for a week) then back to mine.

how far did you drive it in total since the noise started - about 6 miles then went to drive it off my drive on xmas day and the quiet noise suddenly got louder!

my hypothesis is that the "quiet noise" was when a piston started hitting a valve for whatever reason, then the sudden "loud noise" was when the chain shifted or stretched. By then it was too late, that would be head-off job either way.

from your video it sounds to me like one of the valves had then dropped into a cyliner

and finally, either the valve has jammed the piston, or the chain has snapped

big ends can also start quietly and then go loud, you might have had a blocked oil-way on one of the pistons (unlikely), but that metalic noise and breathing sounds like one valve had dropped into a cylinder

see if HH can get an engine for you and swap it at a reaonable price ...Brett can you call them maybe ?

outcome... cant get the injectors out.. therefore cant get the head off...
The only way to get them out is the special pulling tool if there stuck.

yeah the injectors wouldn't shift.
If it wasn't for the injectors, removing the valve-cover (not the head btw) is as easy on the diesel as on the petrol.

Damo,you can put in the chanel iodine.It's really works well.My two injectors was completly stuck.Two garages tryed pull out with special pulling tool and can't.One mechanic said that I must put iodine overnight.And next mornig his took out.

Chris from hear used brake fluid over night and it worked a treat and he is a Honda tech

another possibility came to mind ....

in the 80's (before we married) my girlfriend had an X-reg 1.1 Ford Fiesta, the engine in that was overhead valve but not overhead cam, it had push-rods and rockers. The rockers "rocked" on a single shaft that ran the length of the head, held in place by 5 clamps.

One day she came back and said she thought something was wrong with the engine. When I removed the valve cover, the clamp at the far end had broken, which had strained the shaft until that had broken, leaving the rockers over the end cylinder just sitting looking pretty. I had to replace the shaf and tap the head to fit a new clamp, then we traded it in for another car.

I just wondered if something along these lines had happened to the camshaft and end bearing on the head on your engine.

I could be any of the things you mentioned, I even thought it could have been oil chain snapped causing it.

It's all speculation until you remove the cam cover/sump to inspect the inner workings.

Yeah we tried to look, but couldn't get the injectors out, and Damo may have a couple of places to swap the engine but they'll want the engine as intact as possible