Engine light - codes P0008 & P000C

Bendzior

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 cdti
Hi all

Need advice or help

Just recently got codes p0008 engine position system performance blank1 and p000c "A" camshaft position slow response blank 2

I have 2.2 cdit facelift with part service history, honda apart from last service and oil used was 5w30 so as soon I got a car I change it to 0w30 honda oil

From my research on net on those code looks like its a chain - i didint find nothing about accord with this issue.

Car run smooth no misfire no abnormal noise but there is a bit of noise around aux belt area , hard to pinpoint might be chain area or bouth

My problem is i cannot afford chain replacement now , and need car + was planning to go away for Xmas in car 1250 mile trip

Any advice I would be grateful
Karol

Hi all

Need advice or help

Just recently got codes p0008 engine position system performance blank1 and p000c "A" camshaft position slow response blank 2

I have 2.2 cdit facelift with part service history, honda apart from last service and oil used was 5w30 so as soon I got a car I change it to 0w30 honda oil

From my research on net on those code looks like its a chain - i didint find nothing about accord with this issue.

Car run smooth no misfire no abnormal noise but there is a bit of noise around aux belt area , hard to pinpoint might be chain area or bouth

My problem is i cannot afford chain replacement now , and need car + was planning to go away for Xmas in car 1250 mile trip

Any advice I would be grateful
Karol

Ok so I connect car to obd scanner and no code found , this time car was cold - I see tomorrow if light come back but I'm scared to drive it now I case chain will fail over all

What do you guy think ?

From what you say, I don't think you have a chain problem.

They might have been old codes which had been stored there from long ago. If you've deleted them and they haven't come back then I don't think that necessarily indicates a chain problem (especially if the engine is otherwise running fine). It maybe simply be the cam position sensor, which is more likely to be affected by heat.

The noise might be the alternator drive pulley (a common problem) so remove the alternator drive belt to see if the noise then disappears.

From what you say, I don't think you have a chain problem.

They might have been old codes which had been stored there from long ago. If you've deleted them and they haven't come back then I don't think that necessarily indicates a chain problem (especially if the engine is otherwise running fine). It maybe simply be the cam position sensor, which is more likely to be affected by heat.

The noise might be the alternator drive pulley (a common problem) so remove the alternator drive belt to see if the noise then disappears.

Thanks , I will have to take it for a drive and see if it come back , also I try to take belt of at weekend to see if noise stops , but I do worry about chain - what about if codes back
What would be noticeable sing that chain is on its way out apart from noise ( I tried listen to so many videos and all sound same to me )

Thanks , I will have to take it for a drive and see if it come back , also I try to take belt of at weekend to see if noise stops , but I do worry about chain - what about if codes back
What would be noticeable sing that chain is on its way out apart from noise ( I tried listen to so many videos and all sound same to me )
If the code(s) come back, then you know it's a real and current problem and can then investigate the cause more seriously (perhaps with more advice from TA members). The problem with simply reading codes when the light first comes on is that all codes ever recorded are stored indefinitely until deleted, so you often find codes completely unrelated to a current fault.

It is hard to tell simply by listening to the engine sounds, unless you're a very experienced Honda mechanic! As I said, a good pointer is to remove the alternator drive belt and then run the engine without it... if the noise is still there then you know it must be something internal to the engine and therefore likely to be chain related (so camchain, oil pump drive chain, or a tensioner) and therefore potentially serious, especially if the noise has suddenly come on (which would indicate an impending failure, rather than gradual/normal wear ***ociated with a high-mleage engine).

Sorry, the noise coming out of my cr*ppy laptop speakers sounds about normal.

I've been thinking about your post, and still don't think worn chains would lead to ECU error codes while the engine seems to run OK (although maybe a little noisy). Maybe you do have slightly noisy chains and also a separate problem (e.g. cam sensor?). Get that alternator belt off and put your mind at rest!!!

Sorry, the noise coming out of my cr*ppy laptop speakers sounds about normal.

I've been thinking about your post, and still don't think worn chains would lead to ECU error codes while the engine seems to run OK (although maybe a little noisy). Maybe you do have slightly noisy chains and also a separate problem (e.g. cam sensor?). Get that alternator belt off and put your mind at rest!!!

Will get the belt off this weekend
Thanks bud

Ok
Got new code this morning - car sound and drives normal ( I only done short trip )
P0120
P042D
P0431

Looks like need to clean some sensors , hope this will help

Ok
Got new code this morning - car sound and drives normal ( I only done short trip )
P0120
P042D
P0431

Looks like need to clean some sensors , hope this will help
They are unusual codes! And I find it interesting that they are different to the ones you first reported. I have no idea what sensor to suggest cleaning. Have you googled these codes? I can only find these explanations, which I'm not very confident with:

P0120... http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_p0120.html - but I don't think this is correct.
P042D... something cat related?
P0431... something cat related?

Yeah could not find clear answer for those code related to honda , but it look like throttle sensor and cat /O2 sensor

Will inspect them and clean as well taking belt of at weekend

Ok , I drove car for 20 min normal speed around town with couple of hard accelerations and no codes - car feel normal no hazatation or misfire , turbo kicks in as it should.

I will do good inspection Saturday but it's all good today

That's why I love Honda it's like a woman you never know what up with her , she flip out for no reason and on the end of the day give a good ride