What's new

Engine light on.

The thing is what do you do. Keep the car and spend the money on it or lose money and buy something else that may have some problems too. If I didnt have bad luck with cars then I wouldnt have any luck at all!!!!!!

just had a read here, surprised to see a k24 have these issues, I would hazard a guess it has not had a very loving service record? usually these engines keep going on as long as they have the routine services over time.

The "120" will be 120 psi or pounds per square inch, a measure of pressure.

Atmospheric pressure is about 15 psi, and is also known as 1 bar.

So 120 psi is about 8 bar, and the compression on a modern petrol engine should be at least 10 bar, so the compression is down.

There are 3 main things that cause low compression in a cylinder, which are
1. piston ring broken. If this has happened, the piston will have to come out to replace the piston ring. The cylinder wall may be badly scored. They can check if it is a piston ring by squirting oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole before running the compression test again. If the compression goes up, this indicates a piston ring. If it does not go up, it indicates 2 or 3
2. warped head and/or blown gasket. This would be caused by the engine over-heating, which can be caused by several issues, such as water pump, faulty thermostat, blocked water passages ...a previous owner would know if it had over-heated.
3. burnt valves. This would happen if the valve clearances were not done and the engine had been heavily used with bad valve clearances

.....but I would not expect any of the above on a car that has only done 56k miles.

If I were you, I'd check the MOT history here https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

You might also be lucky, it might only be that the valve clearances for that cylinder are a long way out, I'd get them checked as Paul ("wookie") said.

Ok so I just had a look at old MOT's and the miles is right. I have been round to my mate who works for HONDA and he said befor I spend any more cash I shold take it to them to have a look and a hook up.to ther HDS. Will keep you up to date. Thanks for the replys. Wine helps. :wacko:

Ok so today car was in Honda and had the valve clearances done and still the same. So head off it is. they are rining me monday with a price. Im off to rob a bank!!

Could this be a stretched timing chain perhaps ?
I had the exact same symptoms on my k24 a few years ago , random misfiring upon start up then would run ok followed by failure to start at all , took honda 2 days to diagnose and fix this btw ?

^ well he says the compression is low on only two cylinders, not all four. But along the lines of what Mark says, it would be a good idea to get the engine checked on a Honda HDS before committing to having the head removed.

That's been done today at Honda. They said that cylinder 2 has low compression and the head mechanic thinks its the valve seal, but can't say till the head us off. The best and worst car I have ever had!!

Accords said:
That's been done today at Honda. They said that cylinder 2 has low compression and the head mechanic thinks its the valve seal, but can't say till the head us off. The best and worst car I have ever had!!

that's as definite as you can get :(

I can't wait till the lottery results tomorrow;!!!!!!

All fixed at great expence, so it was the vtec rocker arm not working on cylinder 2, so it was operating the high lift cam all the time. Also a stretched time chain. So as I said all fixed and now planning to keep the car for a few years now.

Yeah. I second that. Enjoy it and hope it stays helathy from now.. keep giving it the love and you should be sorted. Also, next time you need a hds diagnostic, check F6Had tuning company out. He charges cheap rates and being one (or the(not sure which) of the gaffers on here he can point you in lots of right directions...