What's new

Engine Management Light

feechan

Members
Reaction score
Car
6 Gen 1.8 VTEC Sport
Wonder if there's any quick solution to this issue:

Was driving home from work on Friday night when my car started feeling very juddery when accelerating/decelerating as if it was misfiring. I've only had the car about a month so far and it's been perfect until now. By the time i got home the engine management light had started to flash and when I pulled up outside my house I left the car to idle to listen to the engine, it started to stutter quite badly as if it was about to stall! I tried turning engine off & back on again to see if this would turn light out (usually works if the engine management light pops on randomly in the works Mercedes Sprinter van) but engine management light just stayed on solid.

I had a good look at it on Saturday (bare in mind I'm usually clueless when it comes to working on cars) and discovered that one of the cables leading from spark plug into the unit on the left hand side of picture (forgive my ignorance, I'm not that clued up when it comes to names of engine parts lol) -> http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1T01&block_02=E__0500&block_03=2653 had, for whatever reason, popped out so i simply plugged it back in again and car is running perfectly again. Only problem I have now is that my engine management light still remains on even though car is running absolutely fine now.

Any quick solutions to resetting ECU or whatever it takes to reset light. Is it simply just a case of unplugging/replugging battery? Any help much appreciated :)

Disconnect the battery for a night, or remove the Nº13 CLOCK BACK UP FUSE(7.5A) under the glove-box for a few seconds with the ignition off. It must get your MIL off ;)

alternatively, a tame garage can reset it for you, or an obd reader is always a handy gadget.

as the guys said above.the proper way is what Dan said if the other don't work

Since my car doesn't have an OBD connector, I forgot about that one :huh:

wouldn't a certain number of engine starts also clear the light?

Im not sure but there must be somewhere to plug in to reset and read codes.Is it a case of pluging direct into the ecu

Disconnect the battery for a night, or remove the Nº13 CLOCK BACK UP FUSE(7.5A) under the glove-box for a few seconds with the ignition off. It must get your MIL off ;)

This worked a treat - disconnected battery for an hour, reconnected it just there and hey presto, light is off :D cheers for all your input guys, much appreciated :D

tally ho!