What's new

Engine oil for 2.0l petrol ES GT

civicric84

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CU1
The service reminder "A" has come up on the dash display. Looking in the forum it looks to be engine oil and filter change. I plan on doing this myself to save some pennies. What engine oil does the 2.0l use and is there a "how to" on oil change?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard.

The service reminder "A" has come up on the dash display. Looking in the forum it looks to be engine oil and filter change. I plan on doing this myself to save some pennies. What engine oil does the 2.0l use and is there a "how to" on oil change?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard.

For petrol, it's far less sensitive than the diesel. You can use 10w40 but plenty of people use different grades (e.g. 5w40, etc). Not sure of a DIY yet, but the procedure and the grade of oil will be in your manual.

Give the car a treat Richard and get yourself silkoline pro 5w 30 from opie oils.
This is what I use and get a genuin filter from HH

Holdcroft Honda do oil and filter packages with discount for members, 0W/30 is the recommended oil fully synth.

Metal undershield looks a bit tricky to remove, I reckon you'd need some drive on ramps to get enough access to it.

Holdcroft Honda do oil and filter packages with discount for members, 0W/30 is the recommended oil fully synth.

Metal undershield looks a bit tricky to remove, I reckon you'd need some drive on ramps to get enough access to it.

Rich you can use the grades 0w-20 to 10w-40 in both the 2L and 2.4L depending on Ambient Temp.
In our climate all these are OK by Honda and only the Diesel 8th gen is recommended to be 0w-30 by Honda.

Richard the oil change and filter on these cars are very easy indeed.All you need is a good trolly jack to raise the front of the car on its front jack point and then use 2 Axel stands on both front jack points.
Chock the back wheels for safety and this will give you the room to work under the car.
Undo the the screws on the under tray to get to the drain plug and drain into a suitable container ready for recycling.
I always unscrew the oil filler cap as well to get more old oil out.Once the oil has stopped coming out then take off your Filter with a proper tool.
Fill the new filter with oil and run a spear of oil on the rubber and refit to the torque setting.
Use the new washer for the drain plug and refit.Fill the car with the correct amount of oil and make sure everything is in place then run the car for 3 min and check for leeks job done.
Refit the under tray and use a small amount of Vaseline on the screws to make further oil changes easy to get the screws out.

Amount of oil is
2L PETROL 3.7L including Oil filter.
Filter torque 12 N·m

Thanks very much guys, much appreciated. Sounds straight forward enough. Still got 900 miles to go on service reminder so plenty of time to get the parts. Once I have changed the oil does the service reminder reset itself?? Or can we do it? Or take it to honda?

It's in the book and be set easly by yourself.

whats the service interval for the 8th gen?

12k miles for the 7th gen, that's a whole lotta miles between oil chages...

whats the service interval for the 8th gen?

12k miles for the 7th gen, that's a whole lotta miles between oil chages...
Its the same as the 7th gen Eric if you have the variable service reminder turned of.
If not oil changes are worked out by a sensor in the sump i think that tells what condition the oil is in.
Mine normally needs an oil change around 9k but it all depends on how much VTEC you hit :rolleyes:

Holdcroft Honda do oil and filter packages with discount for members, 0W/30 is the recommended oil fully synth.Metal undershield looks a bit tricky to remove, I reckon you'd need some drive on ramps to get enough access to it.

Yup I think you're right, there is a trade-off there - the 0W 20 is a semi synthetic IIRC.

Only 3.7L including, thats good as most oil comes in 4L bottles now, so a bit spare for top ups.