What's new

engine whine

manus

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
hello there,
recently bought my second accord from honda grantham. after i bought it i noticed a weird noise at tickover ( its a diesel ). it turned out to be the timing chain and it has only 30k miles on the clock!
i got the chain done. its much better now but i noticed now when accelerating that there is a slight whine from the engine when the revs build. its not bad but still there. honda grantham says its "probably" just the characteristic of the engine. does this sound normal to you?
i just want to be 100% sure the engine is ok, especially after the chain issue.
thanks in advance

thanks, maybe i am just paranoid after the chain issue. its quite noticable though and ruins an otherwise almost silent engine.

Can you get a recording and upload to YouTube. We can take a listen and advise better. The cdti engine us quieter then a lot if diesels so the noise you're hearing may be masked on other card due to their overall noise output.

Good ideal Paul but to me it sounds like turbo whine.If it is that its normal mine does it then settles down when cruising.

Mine whines too not sure what it is just lightlty revving it when stationary and anything over about 1500rpm and it sounds terrible, just fitted the shorter alternator belt in the hope that would relieve some of the tension but its not really made any difference and my mechanic said he couldnt find any noisy pulleys etc. However when I collected the belt I was parked next to another icdti and it sounded very similar, need to hear some more to compare it to really.

I had the same problem after i got the chain issue sorted. It turned out it was the aux belt and it does go away after a short period of time but nothing to worry about. It sounded like an electric motor whirring on mine :rolleyes: but now gone