What's new

Erratic Dashboard/Car Won't Start

Tromperie

Members
Reaction score
Car
'51 Accord 2.0 SE
I drive a 2.0 2001 Accord, was on the motorway, battery warning light and several others came on suddenly, turned off again. Dials then started going haywire, kept turning on and off again, radio would turn off and on again, wipers were operating very slowly. SRS and ABS lights would then alternate on and off. Managed to get home (engine seemed to be running okay without issues) but tried to start car again and it wouldn't start.

I've got a feeling this is an alternator problem. My father drove a Vectra years ago, which suffered similar problems and the issue turned out to be a dying alternator. While I'm not sure how old the Accord's battery is, it isn't the original. It's done just shy of 107k.

Is this likely to be an alternator or battery problem? Or something else which could be a bit/lot more expensive? Any help appreciated.

I'd say probably neither mate but that doesn't neccessarily mean it'll be an expensive fix. If I were in your shoes i'd be contacting a good auto electrician.

Unless the actual terminal on the battery is loose or something stupid like that?

Saying that I think these have a common problem with some sort of earth cable but there'll be someone else on here who knows much more about that than I do.

Tromperie said:
Is this likely to be an alternator or battery problem? Or something else which could be a bit/lot more expensive? Any help appreciated.
easiest thing to try first is to leave the battery on a trickle-charger overnight and see if that makes a difference

Check battery voltrage etc. Did the engine cut off? If so could be ignition switch.

Just about to get multimeter later today, but until then, I've recorded a video from my phone of dashboard problem which can hopefully shed a bit more light. Car still isn't starting:

http://sendvid.com/onvl2vzt

Long and short of it, turning on lights causes fuel gauge and milometer to die (and presumably rev and speedometers would die if I was moving), turning off causes them to come back on again. Using wipers also kills fuel gauge and milometer while they're moving, once they stop moving, those gauges come back to life. That of any use to anyone?

Got multimeter, had an initial reading of 10.12v from battery, spent some time fannying about in boot, had couple of doors open for bit. I then considered jump starting Accord from another car to see what multimeter reading was then, but I was completing the circuit and negative lead started sparking when connecting it to metal in Accord. Never seen that when jump starting other cars, so became reticent and decided against jump starting.

Tried starting Accord as normal again a couple of times during this time, got rapid clicking noise. Measuring with multimeter again got me a 7.93v reading. When locking Accord with remote, the car locked as normal but usual 3 light flashing didn't occur.

the battery is totally and utterly and completely flat

it needs charging up, put it on a trickle-charger overnight

You're most likely waisting your time trying to charge that mate. When they go flat they usually go down to something like twelve volts dead or no voltage at all if there's a drain. But that reading of yours suggests it's got a bad cell and has had it :(

Give it a go anyway but get it tested properly tomorrow by somewhere with the proper gear that gives a cranking amps reading, not just with a multimeter.

yeah if the battery charges up and starts the car then the check the voltage across the battery with the engine running

if it won't start the car after charging, get a new battery, start the car, and check the voltage across the battery with the engine running

£45 for brand new genuine Honda battery from Holdacroft Honda.

Have you checked the various earth cables that are located around the engine bay.