What's new

Error 1166 & 1167

grentuu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Executive
Car has been driving fine and this morning while driving to uni the light came on. Code reader shows 1166 and 1167. I erased the code but the light came back on the instant I started the engine (it has done this twice)

Could anyone give me a start point before I head down to the garage please. Also I need the car to get to uni, what will driving it like this do?

Many thanks

Rob

That sounds like your manifold O2 sensor mate. Leaving it in place will probably just effect fuel economy to start with, however when mine went it ended up stalling whenever I let off the throttle and just generally running like a dog. When you replace it make sure you use the genuine part rather than a cheaper imitation one, I understand the F series engine can be fussy about the sensors. The good news is it's fairly simple to swap out so shouldn't cost too much in labour, or if you have the right wrench you could probs do it on your drive.

One other thing to bear in mind is it's advised to replace the secondary O2 sensor in the cat at the same time you swap the primary

That sounds like your manifold O2 sensor mate. Leaving it in place will probably just effect fuel economy to start with, however when mine went it ended up stalling whenever I let off the throttle and just generally running like a dog. When you replace it make sure you use the genuine part rather than a cheaper imitation one, I understand the F series engine can be fussy about the sensors. The good news is it's fairly simple to swap out so shouldn't cost too much in labour, or if you have the right wrench you could probs do it on your drive.

One other thing to bear in mind is it's advised to replace the secondary O2 sensor in the cat at the same time you swap the primary
Thanks for the reply and help.
I have to drive to Ormskirk every day for Uni and I cant afford to break down. Mine is the 2000 (W) 2.0i SE Exec auto, I'm hoping that stalling isnt an issue.

Does anyone have a price for the correct sensor fitted and just for the part?

Car has been driving fine and this morning while driving to uni the light came on. Code reader shows 1166 and 1167. I erased the code but the light came back on the instant I started the engine (it has done this twice)

Could anyone give me a start point before I head down to the garage please. Also I need the car to get to uni, what will driving it like this do?

Many thanks

Rob
Yes, O2 sensor failure...
P1166 - http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_p1166.html
P1167 - http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_p1167.html
But it's only the heater circuit that's duff, not the actual sensor. So you'll be OK to keep driving it (and may not even notice any difference?).

Thank you.

Driving wise it seems fine, although I am a little suspicious that it used more juice on the way back tonight although that could be my imagination. Its just I cant get it in to a garage until Thursday but need to drive it to Ormskirk tomorrow (50 mile round trip) and can't afford a motorway tow lol.

Definately purchase an OE from Honda as i had the same and wasted £80 on non gen...

bought gen, span it on and perfect, runs better than with light on...didn't need to renew the cat sensor though..

Definately purchase an OE from Honda as i had the same and wasted £80 on non gen...

bought gen, span it on and perfect, runs better than with light on...didn't need to renew the cat sensor though..

Honda just quoted my £229 to have the front sensor fitted..is that about right? (especially when so many people say it might not be the sensor itself)

Honda just quoted my £229 to have the front sensor fitted..is that about right? (especially when so many people say it might not be the sensor itself)
I don't know about the quoted cost (it would be a lot cheaper to do it yourself!), but nobody said it wasn't the sensor and I'm sorry if my comment made you think otherwise. These sensors have a built-in heater that - in this case - is the thing that has failed... but you can't replace this separately!

EDIT: PS - make sure you change the right one!!

Exact same car as mine, I had the exact same fault code only 4 weeks ago.

The only solution was a genuine honda part that costs just over £200.

I had mine fitted for about £260 at honda

I think if you drive without fixing it for too long it can cause damage to the catalyst?? Not 100% on that one....

Adam it can but in the same way that hitting a speed bump will cause damage. It might, or might not happen. Either way, as has been said get them changed. Always remember to get them changed as a pair.

41.............P0135,P1166,P1167.................. ....Primary heated O2 sensor

IF you got this sensor for 80£ from vtecdirect then you can use it as secondary sensor. I bought sensor from him and I thought it was a waste of money. but recently (one year almost after purchase) I got catalyst efficiency error. Tries to put this sensor and it worked :) Its working for 2 month almost.

As for primary sensor - there is two solutions :)
1. buy genuine from honda.
2. buy obd2-odb1 converter, buy any used or new sensor from previous Honda releases (4 wire sensor) and buy obd1 ecu from similar engine with similar injectors.(one man in my country did this and it works perfectly ) :) and he don't need secondary sensor any more (this is difficult but interesting, and cheaper (I think) solution ).

I believe you will choose first one :)

Just had it in the garage. As it went in for MOT as well they tested the emissions which were spot on and passed, they say that means the o2 sensor itself is switching and should not be glugging fuel or it would have shown. They suggest it is the heater part.

I am going to need to drive this 'as is' for a week or two for uni as I don't have the funds to replace right now (due to it failing its MOT on a number of small things but cost wise they mount up.) Once these are sorted I will get the OE unit fitted.

MOT Fails

1) Two new tyres
2) Both rear anti-roll bar linkages need replacing
3) Nearside rear parking brake showing little or no effect
4) Parking brake efficiency below requirement
5) and a bulb needs replacing.

They did say that while the Accord is a cracking motor, they were know for rear brake issues. Can anyone give me a heads up on this?

Anyone know a decent mechanic in the Bolton area?

Both error codes are 02 sensor 1. From Honda they are £202. Im pretty sure i have a brand new one in my garage and can supply and fit for £100 if its the one i have. Hope this helps dude.

Chris.

Chris to the rescue. da da!!! :lol: