What's new

Excessive oil consumption

Drejc112

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2012
Hi :)
Engine is R20A3 year 2012 and 125k km on it.
Since i bought the car i made about 15k km and about 3 to 4 L of oil to fill in, in that time.
Is that normal? I had 2.2i-ctdi civic before and i had to put about 1l of oil every 15k km and i thogh that was alot :/ , 4l in 15k km , well than my civic was great :) .

Modern car engines tend to be built less tight to eliminate internal engine friction, and are designed to use lighter grade engine oils. This formula has a bigger advantage applied to higher revving petrol engines than it does to lower revving diesels (which also has higher compression and less blow-by). Another advantage is that brand new engines don't require a long wearing in period, so you can more or less redline them driving out of the showroom (still not a brilliant idea though).

But unless your car is leaving clouds of blue smoke, it's probably running as it should.

Have a look at this video for background information:

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-oil-consumption-in-modern-cars

Thank you Richard B, i totaly agree with you and the link below, i guess ill just fill in some oil every few months and drive on, no probleme there :)
The forum in slovenia , they even sayed that the car had had km put back and thats why there is oil consumption , some say that i need to change grade of oil and in no way must not use the 0w20 grade..

The k20 and k24 engines do suffer from slight oil consumption, grade of oil is an issue I recommend 0w30 or 5w30. Next check would be pcv and after that could be a combination of stem seals, piston ring or both. Both will be a strip down and if you are gonna go down that route then you may as well do timing chain, tensioners and water pump.
Check for smoke on full hard throttle and let us know ?

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Ok, will keep on posting. I have to do regular service at 125k km , spark plugs need to be changed, air filter wasnt changed since god knows when ( think it was around 90k km) , will put in 0w20 or 0w30 oil and hope for the best :).

No, just the 0w30 mobil.. i guess its normal that i have to fill in about 0,5 to 0,7 between services.