What's new

Exhaust valve solenoid fault

peterbecca

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 2006
Hi all
Our 2006 2.0 petrol tourer has gone into limp home mode with the engine light on. My reader reports it's p0080 code which reports the exhaust valve solenoid bank 1 high.
It's booked into a garage to look at it tomorrow but I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and what the ££ damage will be.

Update...... local diagnostic garage looked at the car and told me that the ecu needs to be replaced or repaired. They recommended to go to the local dealer. Off I trot and they look at the car confirm that I need to replace/repair the ecu.
They find out that honda no longer offer a new ecu and that it will have to be repaired. It's £560 to remove the ecu and send it off to repair and refit. They contacted BBA reman to make sure they could fix it and BBA can't tell until the unit is out of three car whether they can attempt a repair.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience of getting a ecu repaired and if BBA reman are the people to do it.
Also can anyone tell me where the ecu is. I think it's under the srs unit in the centre console
Many thanks

It doesnt sound like an ecu fault, what makes them think it's an ecu? I've not seen this dtc before as you've provided a generic code. Have it booked with someone like me who has access to a honda diagnostic tool for a manufacturer specific error code and the possibility to run some actuator tests.

Sounds more like a faulty intake flap solenoid, or a break in the wiring harness somehwere.

Find a breaker with a similar spec car and buy that ecu to test it, but I recently had an engine light on and limp mode (2.0l petrol). Honda Dealer checked and found vtc switch was faulty, don't know fault code, but car wouldn't rev over 3k rpm and cheap enough fix. I replaced the solenoid gasket too while they had the solenoid off just for good measure.

Hi
Honda and an independent garage diagnosed an ecu failure using their diagnostics. Interestingly Honda got the part no. wrong. Today the car completely died but the ecu has gone to a local ecu repair (ecu-doctor-uk) met the chap and was really helpful. After the weekend he will look at the ecu and he was confident he can fix it with a 12 month warranty and will cost £200.
Hopefully that will sort it. Will keep post updated.

Hi all
Here is the latest! Local ecu chap can't repair ecu and recommends a auto electrician looks at the car as it might not be ecu. An independent diagnostic garage and Honda both say the ecu is faulty.
Spoke with Honda again and they have given me 3 ecu part no that are compatible with the car but can't find any in the UK yet.
37820-rbe-e03 or e41 or e42.
Can anyone help with a company that can repair it or sourcing a new ecu. I would be grateful for any help. The wife has a fiat 500 on hire and I don't want her to get any ideas
Pete

As mr Honda says probably better off trying one off eBay or breakers? At least if it's not needed you can sell it on after

Andyjdmteg said:
100 squids on the bay of e and listed in working order
Would this work for my car the part no. Isn't one that the local Honda dealer said was compatible???? Even though it's the same car. Happy to buy it if it gets the car working it's fantastic if only it would start

I would agree with the suggestion that a decent auto electrician looks at it mate. Something as simple as a bad earth can cause issues like this,
I've seen it happen before.

I also don't think it's your ecu.

The ecu guy has given me the name of a decent auto electrician. I will contact him. Thanks for the advice, will update the saga.

Update... the saga continues. The auto electrician has been and reports that there is any issue either with the ground cable coming into the ecu (broken wire) or a fault with the ecu itself. They have gone away to find out which pin (wire) is the ground and will be back to test it out.
If it's the ecu I will need to source one and the only ones I can find which is an exact match is in Poland on a website called allegro. Or a breaker in czech.
There are ecus in the UK but are not identical number matches but the auto-elec feels that often itself software upgrade and the hardware doesn't change.
Thought you would like to know he latest and a problem shared is a problem halved:)

Like I said a bad earth..

Fingers crossed. It just needs a good auto electrician that has the time and patience. I've seen similar issues on much newer cars. It could be a wiring loom that's been chaffing on something or even stretched that's broken a wire inside.

They went through the whole electrical and fuel system. They got the car to run by bypassing the ecu and injectors to confirm that nothing else was wrong. Then spoke with their ecu guy who explained the likely culprit. Once they have a wiring diagram for the ecu they will be back to confirm fault. All for £45 a visit. Honda charged £90 and came up with no definite answers.

Update on the accord. Auto electrician returned and confirmed the ecu is the fault, all the wiring and earthing is fine. So finally found an ecu from a mk7 pre face lift tourer, 2004 donor car. Found 2 matching ecus but neither would send to UK. The ecu bought is from Lithuania and is winging get its way with dpd. The electrican says he will programme the keys to the new ecu or if that fails he will get his ecu man to program the donor ecu to match the broken one. He remains quite shocked at the ecu failing as he has only ever had one other petrol Honda ecu fail and that was 12 years ago.
Will update as and when the ecu appears.

Anything is possible with electronics but ecu failures are almost unheard of on these cars

Yep! Interestingly the ecu in the car is not the orginal it's date stamp is Feb 2008. Hopefully the car will be up and running by the end of next week.

Oh really? There's definitely something amiss here if it now needs a second replacement ecu in its 10 year life..

So final update..... donor ecu fitted and keys coded to it. First turn of the keys and the car started first time. Phew what a relief.
Given that it was from a 04 accord estate and the ecu was a different number made no difference. Thanks for all the input

If this happens again then there is an electrical problem somewhere killing these ecu's

Fingers crossed it holds out