What's new

f20b6 engine sound( video)

vytas

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.0
Please listen to my engine sound. It seems something not nice with it, like a whistle or something in range of 1.5 - 3 rpm ? Maybe vtec is bad or something? How do i have to feel when vtec kicks in? because now its just accelerates evenly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Shm9LaHZ0&feature=youtu.be

Guess that's a problem with some bearing, probably related to alternator, power steering pump or one of the timing belt tensors.

I would start by removing the alternator belt, and check if the noise continues. If so, then would remove the power steering belt.
If after all that the noise is still there, I would try to pinpoint the the exact location of the noise, at least, from what part of the engine does the sound comes. It could be a number of things, but would bet on something related to the timing belt, either tensors or water pump.

I am sure that is not related to the VTec. In the 1.8 and 2.0 engines, the vtec engadgement is not very noticeable, but if you accelerate hard on 1st gear, you should feel a slight difference at about 4500rpm, in both acceleration and change of intake sound. Once again, the difference is not too much, but it's possible feel it.

Ok thank you for detailed info(for vtec as well). i was also thinking about the bearing. is it very bad if i keep driving for a while like this? recently i have restored the steering pump so this one canot be that makes the sound, i guess something else. If its inside in timing belt then its gona cost i believe...and you think i can remove the belt and start the engine??

Yes, there is no problem to run the engine without the alternator/ac and power steering pump.

If its timing belt related, you might as-well replace the all pack(tensors, water pump and belts).
When was the last time that you changed the timing belt? It might be due to another replacement...

I guess it won't harm too much running like that, after all the bearing is already half-dead... a few more miles on it's not a big deal.

Yes, there is no problem to run the engine without the alternator/ac and power steering pump.

If its timing belt related, you might as-well replace the all pack(tensors, water pump and belts).
When was the last time that you changed the timing belt? It might be due to another replacement...

I guess it won't harm too much running like that, after all the bearing is already half-dead... a few more miles on it's not a big deal.

i just buy it recently. belts are changed before ~10k km... so at least 50k more

i just buy it recently. belts are changed before ~10k km... so at least 50k more

If you replaced your timing belts 10000km ago, it shouldn't be the timing belts. You have also replaced the tensors, right?

the previous owner replaced. he give me whole old set. i think it could be also over-tided (if corect in english?) . we give this to tell for mechanics.i just wanted to make sure that this isnt normal

the previous owner replaced. he give me whole old set. i think it could be also over-tided (if corect in english?) . we give this to tell for mechanics.i just wanted to make sure that this isnt normal

Yes, the belt could be over tensioned. When you got the car, was it already making that sound or it just appear after a couple of weeks/months?
I would say that if you the car had that noise after the timing belt job, it's probably over tension in the belt..., if not, guess it should be something else...

Let us know when you have news from your mechanic.

sure. no the sound was all the time. it was also steering pump making sound, so we change it, but this sound still left. the car is only 135k km and having such a troubles. and a lot of rust, i am realy disapointed about the rusts...

The rust seems to be a problem in "northern" counties, such as the UK or Netherlands.

Here in Portugal we don't have that problem. At least we something good B)