What's new

Face Lift Accord Diesel - a good buy?

AdamG

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord i-ctdi
Hi Folks

I've not posted anything on here for a while, which is very remiss of me, but I've had nothing to really report on my 54 ctdi.

My Accord's reached 184k after I bought it in 2010 with 89k. Since then, I've had the Clutch/DMF issue - the replacement of which was helped enormously by the advice I got from the guys on the site (I went independant costing £1,000 after Lookers Honda quoted £2,200).

I also more recently had the driveshafts repalced after the judder under hard acceleration, again done independantly and costing just over £600.

Realistically, my cars reaching the end of its economically viable life as far as I can see, so I'm thinking about replacement soon. It actually sailed through it's MOT in April with just a couple of advisories though.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a facelift Accord diesel with as low miles as possible in the next few months, but I could use a bit of advice based on experience of members.

If I were to go for it, are there still the Clutch/DMF issues with the facelift models? Or did Honda beef up the transmission a bit after the failures they had? Obviously, there's no guarantees on any used car that the Clutch won't just go, but I don't really want to have to spend out on it again (I'd think about a re-map if I bought one, but it seems you're just asking for it to eventually give up if it can't handle the stock torque).

Incidentally, I've seen other members moaning about the poor performance of the standard dipped beam lights, and I have to agree - although I do have cracks in both projector lenses so it's hardly surprising. I was talking to the bloke that MOT'd my car in April, and he suggested the HID mod! I asked him about the legality of this, and he said that he (in any case) would just give an advisory on it as I've got headlight washers on the Exec. I know it's not strictly legit, and another tester might not be so accommodating, but that's what I was told.

Anyway, I'd appreciate anybody chipping in any thoughts they have on the facelift clutch issue. I like the Accord a lot, to the point where I'd even consider leaving diesel and re-joining the Temple of VTEC! But I do like getting high 40's mpg.

Thanks for any thoughts you've got.

Have you considered the 8th gen Accord?
They have the great Idtec diesel albeit it does have a DPF but those IDtecs are known to be bombproof. Honda sorted out all the issues they had on the ICTDI in the idtec engine.
However I have had my facelift ICDTI for over a year now and it has been awesome. Averaging 60mpg so far. I find the headlight performance excellent and I have halogen bulbs, although I do have upgraded extreme brilliance Halfords bulbs which improve night vision tremendously

AdamG said:
My Accord's reached 184k after I bought it in 2010 with 89k. Since then, I've had the Clutch/DMF issue - the replacement of which was helped enormously by the advice I got from the guys on the site (I went independant costing £1,000 after Lookers Honda quoted £2,200).

I also more recently had the driveshafts repalced after the judder under hard acceleration, again done independantly and costing just over £600.
184K miles and don't mention timing chain issue? My facelift 80K miles and I need to replace it soon just still wonder if replacing the two chains and guides is enough...

I have HID on my accord pre facelift and I always passing MOT.No headlight washers on my car :) .