What's new

Failed for smoke test

kkelly77

Members
Reaction score
Car
CTDi Sport
I just had my car in for the NCT test (Irish version of MOT). The car failed for the smoke/emissions test. What could have caused this?

The car had it's timing chain replaced about 2 months ago. However, when I got it back it was going into limp mode intermittently. I noticed when this was happening the car was blowing what looked like chimney soot out the exhaust when revved hard. Turned out a faulty glow plug was causing the car to go into limp mode and mechanic told me that this would resolve the smoke issue. So how did my car fail the smoke/emissions test??

The car is running fine otherwise and has been serviced recently.

Have u tried changing the air filter
This will defiantly help

I haven't. I do have a replacement but when I went to change it, it was obvious the air filter had been changed recently. It was also spotlessly clean.

K this could be a number of things covered in the diesel faults section.Start with a good service of all filters if not done already.
Just a question has your car been remapped and what colour is the smoked.The reason i asked is on my old car i had it mapped and smoked terrible and had it put back to standard.
I then had the car remapped again by Fahad and no problems at all.

When you had the timing chain done, I recall it was an independent that did the job.

Did he replace the injectors or not ? If so did he get them re-coded , I seem to recall you need to use the HDS to do this.

is the car Re-mapped at all or standard?

K this could be a number of things covered in the diesel faults section.Start with a good service of all filters if not done already.
Just a question has your car been remapped and what colour is the smoked.The reason i asked is on my old car i had it mapped and smoked terrible and had it put back to standard.
I then had the car remapped again by Fahad and no problems at all.

Car only serviced less than 3000 miles ago. Genuine oil and fuel filter gone in. Car is not mapped and I don't know the smoke colour. I just went by what the guys in the test centre told me. I'll check it out tomorrow.

When you had the timing chain done, I recall it was an independent that did the job.

Did he replace the injectors or not ? If so did he get them re-coded , I seem to recall you need to use the HDS to do this.

is the car Re-mapped at all or standard?
Only one of the injectors was replaced. The other 3 came out OK. Those 3 were sent for recoding. Pretty sure it's standard mapping but is there a way to confirm this?

So one injector isn't programmed?

Pretty sure they don't.... but won't be the first time I've been wrong :D

A little search for injector coding should answer that one... or perhaps Adam or Carl will pop online and confirm?

How is the smoke test done i.e. while stationary or under load? Might be a stuck egr valve.. have you had a diagnostic done again?

How is the smoke test done i.e. while stationary or under load? Might be a stuck egr valve.. have you had a diagnostic done again?
Very good point Fahad my car would only smoke under load with the old map and not when stationary.

I ***ume by 'under load' you mean while the car is in motion or simulated load in the test centre? If so, the test is done while stationary. Honda were meant to take the car in today but had no courtesy car for me. I ***ume I'll get a call from them tomorrow.

Just point out as well, when I first viewed the car prior to purchasing it, I gave it a good revving to check what came out the exhaust and all was good. It just seems to be ever since the ****** timing chain was replaced its taken a turn for the worse.

Yes mate, and what you describe is not under load. If it's smoking that bad while not under load, it should be quite easy to diagnose by a decent mechanic. Let us know what Honda say - it's possibly a bad injector or not coded correctly... maybe the EGR valve or IMRC solenoid. I remember Paul The Bobbys' old Accord had a similar problem..

hopefully its the injector quantity ammount coding that is causing the extra smoke but you are best holding out till honda take a look at it. could very well be caused by fitting the timing chain.

As Adam has said hopefully it is the injector quantity coding that is out.

As I understand it, the injectors when manufactured are tested and calibrated and a code is placed on them which needs to be put into the engine management system to ensure that the correct quantity of fuel is injected.

From the original post it seems that the original 3 injectors were sent off for coding but a 4th was just put in.

Adam will hopefully confirm but even if you re-install the original injectors, unless you install them in the original ports then you would need to re-code them i.e enter the calibration codes in the engine management system, to ensure the correct amount of fuel is being delivered in the correct cylinder.

And that ***umes they ate put in the right ports too.

Problem was with all 4 injectors. According to Honda, they weren't coded properly and were "way off". Problem sorted :D

Thanks for the advice.

Good man glad its sorted and well done to Dan to spot this 1st ;)

Easy fixes are the best.

Good man glad its sorted and well done to Dan to spot this 1st ;)

Well I spotted 25%$ of the problem at least :lol: :blush: