What's new

Failed main front bushes 2.4 accord

2.4_Roar

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord MKVIII 2.4
I've been hearing knocking under the accord for ages so thought I would take a closer look. I'm pretty sure the wishbones aren't supposed to be resting on the metal sub frame. Any idea how much it's gonna cost me to have new genuine stuff fitted? Would have a crack at it myself but I haven't got anywhere dry to work on it and the weather is pretty skanky.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1yw57etdb62eko/IMG_0010.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/obtpt9p5ujguw24/IMG_0012.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bwmz9jxcte01wl/IMG_0015.JPG

These are common to fail. The part itself is reasonable from Honda - I would use genuine parts for this. Old bush needs to be pressed out, then new part pressed in. in. No more than 45 minutes a side I would guess. I need to do this on the CRV soon, just waiting for the weather to clear up.

Yeah compliance bushes - about £20 a side for the part (well it was €25 over here).

I've done them myself, it'll take a little longer than 45 minutes a side though, the whole lower arm has to come out and removing and pressing the bushing a good bit of work.

You'll need to get an alignment after the change too. I never done the video of how to change these as I've one done 1 car (my own). But if I ever do, I'll pop up a how-to video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLTUjbN2cD8

Bought them for the FRV for £14 a side from Huddersfield Honda last year and mate pressed them in for a tenner.

Just done all the bushes and links on my brothers K24 but we dropped the whole subframe to make it easier

Not a massive job in reality. Just make sure you mark the bush fitting as the slits are there for a reason and need to face the same way when you push the new bushes in.

The new bushes arrived in the post today. Went for genuine Honda ones. Just gotta get them fitted now.

Did you get an alignment done after the fitting? It'll be knocked out a little from the suspension work.

Got the new bushes fitted on the weekend. Sadly it didn't stop the very annoying knocking sound underneath so after taking another look i'm now going to change the rear anti roll bar bushes which are slack as hell. Haven't had an alignment done yet but managed to change the bushes without removing the arms. Just pushed the arm out enough with a pry bar to get them done. Will get a four wheel alignment done when i've changed the rear bushes. Just fitted 2 new Michelin as the continentals that I had were down to the nylon on the inner edge (woops).

2.4_Roar said:
managed to change the bushes without removing the arms. Just pushed the arm out enough with a pry bar to get them done.
How did you get the new bushes into the arms? I thought they had to be pressed in by machine.

I'd like to know too - I spend ages stripping out arms so I could push in/out the new bush and it was a complete pain in the proverbial to get out (although I used a bearing puller rather than a machine)

One of mine is starting to go, the other side was done 10k miles ago when the previous owner had it so hopefully that's ok for a while. I was going to get it pressed in so I'd like to know how you got it in as well?

With the knocking check your drop links ;)

post-438-0-95797000-1394787637.jpg

2.4_Roar said:

Which is what I used, but I have to remove the LCA to actually get at the bush! Anyhow.

2.4_Roar said:
So latest update is that I replaced the rear anti roll bar bushes which had some play.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6vllkpgs75mqwc6/4KG7h8tkfd

This has stopped the little rattle at the back of the car but the main heavy knock is still there. I will take Rich's advise and take a look at the front drop links.
You sure it's not the rear shocks? You'll get if the car bounces against the bump stop/

Mystery finally solved! Both upper control arms are really badly worn. Honda want just under £150 each and I need both. Anyone know where I can get them cheaper? Would like genuine Honda stuff if possible as they're going to do a lot of hard work with the roads the way they are.

2.4_Roar said:
Mystery finally solved! Both upper control arms are really badly worn. Honda want just under £150 each and I need both. Anyone know where I can get them cheaper? Would like genuine Honda stuff if possible as they're going to do a lot of hard work with the roads the way they are.
Nice one :)

I forgot these cars have upper arms as well, first one I've owned that has them.

Found out from Euro Car Parts why those arms are so expensive. Guess what other car uses the exact same upper arms....Nope you're wrong. A Lamborghini!

So we're rolling around in accords with lambo arms holding the front end up! Thought the handling was pretty good for a big saloon car, now I know why. lol

Update: The car ran for about 2 weeks until some new knocking sounds started. Found it to be the front drop links. Both sides replaced.

Car ran for another 2 weeks and then there is a new knocking sound at the rear. Replaced both rear drop links and both rear anti roll bar bushes.

The knock is still there. Can anyone suggest another part at the rear that could be causing it?

It's worse when the back end is light and there is nothing in the boot and not much fuel in the tank if that helps.

Changed my rear arb links and bushes recently and the car was still knocking - I hadn't fitted the links properly first time round.

Cliffordski said:
Changed my rear arb links and bushes recently and the car was still knocking - I hadn't fitted the links properly first time round.
What had you done wrong?

I hadn't jacked the arm up enough so the threaded ends were at a bit of an angle when I tightened the nuts and they worked loose after a few days

Re-did them with the ends completely straight and no more noises