What's new

Fairfuel

Channel Hopper said:
I thought Longshanks was suggesting the continuous but separate bottle additive, known as Adblue, which is a concentrate uf urea and I think salt in suspension.

For stationary, one shot cleaners, Redex has been available since the 60's, coming as of late in diesel and petrol versions
we've already been there dude
the OP said in #8

longshanks1 said:
I know about the fluid added to diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter , if you check it up you will find definitely in America a special additive is added at source which is the refinery , so I want to know if these people are trying to be green why aren't we adding this additive .
and in #28
longshanks1 said:
The chemical they had at source is a liquid combustion catalyst additive , they dont tell you its composition .
and the last link in my #29 says

Afton Chemical has announced that its North American Diesel Performance Additive (DPA) product line is the first in the industry to receive TOP TIER diesel approval. The recently launched TOP TIER diesel standard seeks to increase diesel fuel quality by establishing performance requirements for diesel fuel in five key parameters: detergency/injector cleanliness, oxidative stability, lubricity, water content, and particulate count. Afton’s DPA product line, containing Greenclean Detergent Technology, has been proven to successfully deliver the required level of performance specified in the standard.

Fuel quality plays a vital role ensuring equipment is able to run properly, preventing unscheduled downtime for maintenance, and maximising operational profitability for drivers and operators. Today’s basic fuel standards may not protect against some potential field issues. In 2004, TOP TIER gasoline was launched by a consortium of global automakers as a voluntary programme for fuel retailers to address engines’ need for higher levels of detergency to protect the vehicles’ increasingly complex fuel systems. Earlier this year, TOP TIER released their standard for TOP TIER diesel in an effort to increase diesel fuel quality, address consumer field issues, and enable optimal vehicle performance for today’s equally complex diesel engines.

“In order to continue to provide best-in-class diesel additive solutions to our customers, we are committed to designing chemistries that help prevent performance issues occurring under real world operational conditions,” said Alexandra Fersner, Afton’s North American Marketing Manager for DPA. “We support all fuel quality efforts that seek to improve the operability and longevity of diesel engines in all types of equipment,” said Fersner.

freddofrog said:
we've already been there dude
the OP said in #8
Jon also responded in a post shortly after, but with no real clarity. Adblue is little more than the known German brand name for the same fluid available Stateside, . and Canada (H2blu).

On another thread I mentioned Chevron and provided a link to their fuel additives / standalone products. One of these is branded Techron, most profitable to the company as a separate purchase can/bottle. The diesel equivalent is Techron D, when the station forecourt does not sell from the pump, to go straight into the tank. In the UK it would be Texaco stations with the same product.
I'm certain all the other petroleum companies mentioned in your top tier list have their own variation, and almost certain there is not a lot between them.

I mentioned Adblue in #2 Stephen , which comes directly after the OP's #1 :lol:

I suspect that, by sating that all Top Tier companies have a variation of Techron/Techron D, as usual you're over-simplifying things.

Along the way in the search that I did, I found a huge list of the diesel additives in the USA ..... In the USA all additive components have to be registered with the EPA (Environment Protection Agency).
https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/fuels1/ffars/web-dies.htm
"This list is accurate as of Monday June 05, 2017"

I haven't counted the number of companies , but it looks to me like there are ~100, of which Afton and Chevron are but 2. Also, several companies have 10's of brands, so it looks to me as if there are several hundred brands available in the USA. The list doesn't say which are after-filling additives, or which are included in the diesel blend as delivered at the pump nozzle.

But, since Top Tier Diesel was only recently introduced, and since Afton is credited as being the first, then in answer to the OP's question stated in #1, #8, and #28, the diesel additives that are added at source and which are credited as being suitable for cars in an automotive consortium (aka Top Tier) , will be found in the Top Tier Diesel list, of which Afton is the first (and as far as I can see, the only one at present).

I work for the company third from the bottom of the 'L' list with one of the longest range of additives !

In the US there are minimum requirements for fuel performance but this performance is to do with maintaining cleanliness of the engine and does not test for it's effect on vehicle emissions.

There are two levels, base and top tier which are closely equivalent to the UK Standard and Premium fuels except in the UK these standards are not set by any national specifications.

The Top Tier specifications for diesel have only recently been set for the US hence the media interest in it.