What's new

Fault Finding?

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
I apologise if this has been talked over before but I tried the search function but it (somewhat understandably) doesn't allow you to search the word "code". Anyway, I can feel in my waters that my VSA light's going to come on and stay on pretty soon (Pre Facelift 7th Gen). It's been intermittent of late (resets when I turn engine off/on).

I've read that a code reader pays for itself in one use and so thought I'd maybe get one when my VSA finally comes on and stays on, or if my check engine light comes on again (it hass done twice before :rolleyes: ). I did a little googling, but wasn't sure what exactly I'm looking for. Can anyone help out?

I found this site below and they seem quite well covered given their products cover a few price points. I'm looking at the £60 one just because that's what a diagnostic would cost me at Honda, but don't know if that's any good or not, whether it covers what I need it to.

http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/pages/honda_diagnostics_117559.cfm

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

:)

Unfortunately Vsa faults don't appear on obd readers, so its snap-on or hds. Not generally available for practical money.

The forum search box is pants, hence the custom Google box just above it.

With a multimeter you can compare resistance values of the wheel speed sensors and look for the odd one out.

A couple of members have done this.

Cheers man, that's useful. I may just try that multimeter thing. But still, I intend to have the car a long time and can anticipate future issues, so if I was to get a code reader, would anyone recommend any in that link?

I would suggest that you look at the code readers at this web site, they are really good guys and answers queries and provide support post sales
http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/

The following code reader Autel MaxiDiag MD801 has a Honda specific reader function for Engine/ABS/Gearbox etc and does read the ABS fault codes.
I bought this unit a couple of years ago and it has read everything I have come across on a variety of cars + you can capture engine sensors graphically to see trends.

I little more expensive than you indicated but it is the cheapest code reader I have found for general purpose code reading
Hope it helps

Wow! They've not got any of the one you mention on there site at present, but I just popped the model number in eBay. It's quite pricey! £300+ I think that might be a little out of my range, although like you say it does also read the VSA messages. Well, you get what you pay for. That's an awesome site though. Thanks man.

Impressive! Pricey, but impressive :lol:

Onyl for ABS and VSA related problems... most others can be found using much cheaper generic readers and google.

I too am looking for a reader for the future.

This one any good?
http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/products/codereaders/MaxiScanMS309.htm

Not a bad price.