What's new

Finished fitting HIDs to Lows, Fulls, and Spots/Fogs

padraig

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex i-CTDi
I already fitted the HIDs to the low beams about 2 or 3 weeks back and they were a great improvement to visibility. This was fine but now I had standard yellow spotlights and full lights which didn't look well with the low beam HIDs (I had the sidelights replaced with Xenon white 25 SMD LEDs previously). So, I ordered 2 more sets of 6000K HIDs for the Fulls and Spots. At the weekend got out the screwdrivers and other tools needed and started putting them in.

The low beams fitted nicely underneath the facelift headlights. For the fulls and spots I mounted the ballasts on the arms that come out to the bumper beside the headlight washer pumps. Stuck them with strong double sided tape and also cable ties. I routed the full light cables underneath the headlights and the spotlight cables straight down.

For the full lights I had to drill a hole in the casing to allow the spade connectors to come out and connect up to the original power cable. One spade connected directly in where the original bulb was, the other fitted in after scraping out a groove to securely fit it in. The rubber grommet fitted into the space where the original connector was and I sealed it off with tape to make sure it wouldn't slip out.

I removed the spotlight housing by removing three screws and lifting it out. The spotlight H11 HID bulbs came with a seal and directly replaced the original bulbs, just twist out. The spades from the HIDs connected directly to the original connector. I secured the cables then.

For all this I just needed to remove the clips on top of the bumper and the screw under each wheel arch. No need to remove the bumper fully.

Now I've got all-round matching HIDs. The spotlights don't make a huge difference only that the side of the car/road is much more visible when there is oncoming traffic, good on back roads etc. when people might be walking the roads. The full lights are spectacular - when you turn them on first they gradually build up and you don't notice the improvement immediately but if you turn them off and back on again when warm then you see the massive difference.

I hope this helps someone who is deciding to upgrade the fulls and spots (as well as the lows) to HIDs. It is totally worth it.

Comments and questions welcome :)

Sounds good mate, but some pics would really help.

Ya I totally forgot to take pics, if I get time in the near future I will post up pics.

You forgot to do hid reverse bulb, lol! Your lights blazing will rival a rally car with a night light pod on the bonnet! Get some pics up buddy

good stuff Pad, the only thing is when you 'flash' someone it's bound to be disappointing as the bulbs will be cold and therefore poorly lit. Additionally you put a strain on the ballasts when flashing

looking good mate but as gav said above flashing its not good for the lamps or balist as they won't be heated up proper

Ya, I won't be flashing anyone much. Saw someone saying something about flashing and the ballasts in Jav's thread with his video. I'm careful about turning on the full lights so that I won't have to turn them on/off constantly - once I know I'll be clear for a while driving, I turn them on.

Wait till its mot time, I cringe every time coz they switch your headlights on and off several times to make sure they work. I worry my bulbs or ballasts would blow then!

Our MOT is called the NCT, I got mine done at the start of the year and it's good for two years so no issues with the constantly flashing them.

2 year mot, is that for newer cars or all cars?

Padraig, where abouts are you in Ireland? Would be nice to see them working as my HID Kit is on the way (God it takes ages for them to arrive from China! LOL). Anyway, I'm in Derry.

2 Years for all if I remember rightly.

Can't remember what the period is for new cars to be exempt, but then their insurance is a real mother....

From the 1st June if your car is 10 years old it will only get 1 tears NCT the money grabbing *****s! :(

Welcome to our world :lol:

Padraig, where abouts are you in Ireland? Would be nice to see them working as my HID Kit is on the way (God it takes ages for them to arrive from China! LOL). Anyway, I'm in Derry.

I'm in Kerry but might be going up to Kildare this month.

2 year mot, is that for newer cars or all cars?

All cars over three years get it I think need to get the NCT ... for two years. Very old cars only get a one year NCT.

2 Years for all if I remember rightly.

Can't remember what the period is for new cars to be exempt, but then their insurance is a real mother....

Not only the insurance, tax on the pre June 2008 system is awful. My insurance is 830 euro with > 5 years no claims. Tax is something like 880 euro!