What's new

First attempt to remove swirls and scratches

gathor

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
Tourer
Hi guys.
Today I decided to try and remove some of the swirls and scratches. It was done by hand but I got a machine polisher (not the top stuff) and will give it a go later. Took me an hour to do the boot spoiler and a tiny bit of roof.
Here is how it looked before, my car is covered in these little tiny (and some bigger ones haha) scratches all over it. It looks terrible once I clean it up and I am fed up.

DSC01271.jpg

Now what did I use. After hours of reading I decided to go for:
Scratches and swirls - Meguiars Ultimate compound
Wax on, wax off - Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Carnauba Wax step 3

The effect looks like this:

DSC01273.jpg

As you can see almost every single defect is gone. What you cant see is some of the deeper scratches are still present but the paint looks 90% better than before. No more that white-ish coat on top of black sparkly paint.

Some more pictures of spolier:

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01254.jpg

I still have to remove cats marks from my roof (if I ever see a cat on my car again I swear it wont end good). My biggest concern is the bonnet, lots of bird ***** spots and chip stones as well. I am a bit scared of using machine polisher but if just the boot spoiler alone took me an hour...Anyways, what do you think guys and any advice is most welcome. I am really a newbie paint detailer :lol:
Dan

Dude that's an amazing result!!!! I bought some of that Ultimate compund stuff the other day. Was on sale, and only cost a fiver :D

Looking forward to giving it a go. There are not really that many scratches like that on my car, but the ones that are there, annoy the **** out of me!

looking good bud B) well done good job for first attempt,i use the megs compound too,if there is a bit more scratches,then i use the megs scratch x.2.0 which is slightly more abrasive,so shouldnt be used with too much pressure in a tiny spot for too loong,great stuff too :)

Wow, a fiver? That is a good deal:) Ultimate compound seems to do the job very well but the amount of hand work you have to put in, my god my arm still hurts :lol: That is why I consider machine polishing cause I cant imagine doing my whole car this way. Also scratch x2.0 was another product I looked at and yes it seems to be more abrasive so I decided I will start with softer option.
Should I apply anything in between Compound and wax? Read few articles and basically they say Compound prepares the paint for waxing straight away. Dan

Wow, a fiver? That is a good deal:) Ultimate compound seems to do the job very well but the amount of hand work you have to put in, my god my arm still hurts :lol: That is why I consider machine polishing cause I cant imagine doing my whole car this way. Also scratch x2.0 was another product I looked at and yes it seems to be more abrasive so I decided I will start with softer option.
Should I apply anything in between Compound and wax? Read few articles and basically they say Compound prepares the paint for waxing straight away. Dan
you could bud,after scratchX i usually go over the whole car with ag srp(super resin polish)the ag extra gloss protection,then i go over the car with megs nXt tech wax, then simmonz gold carnacuba wax :)