What's new

Fitting HID's

Its not hard but very fiddly my best advice is pick a nice day and take your time and don't rush

Took me about an hour to fit mine last week. pretty simple plug and play. just be paitient.

I I know that its been talked a lot about it ,but....
lads,I have question.
When you connecting wires,where need to connect black(graund) wire.
I think red you conectong straight to lights socket.

Fitted mine two weeks ago. When i opened the bonnet I regretted not getting the slimline ballasts :rolleyes: Anyway two hours to fit an all you can see is the main power feed snaking up to the battery so quite happy.

Nearside ballast is under the headlight, offside is on a bracket under the windscreen washer filler. I didn't want to take the headlights out as i couldn't be bothered with getting them aligned again. I made my own loom up to take power from the battery through a relay to power them. I wouldn't recommend what the kits show and take power off the standard bulb loom as they draw a few amps when turned on. Just use one of the lights wiring to trip the relay. I'm sure you can get a relay wiring kit which may be easier if you haven't done that type of thing before.

I have four hid bulbs on my Supra so i'm used to having them but on the accord they seem to be fairly better than the standard setup.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1406-headlight-removal-and-part-of-the-bumper/
try that one mate :)
Thanks Cliff ! I note that post deals with removing and replacing the headlamps themselves such I would question is it necessary to go this far when all we want to do is fit the HID kit to existing lamps (get cover off to drill hole etc) ?

I can see the benefit of them being out of the way when fitting the ballasts but other than that ? However I'm guessing the only way to get the driver side 'lamp cover off is to move the headlamp as without doing it / removing bumper alone it would still be stuck fast ?

It would be good to hear what others think and I'm beginning to wonder if there is a difference between models (I've got an 06 facelift 2.2 diesel sport) ??!

Cheers

Fraser

Thanks Cliff ! I note that post deals with removing and replacing the headlamps themselves such I would question is it necessary to go this far when all we want to do is fit the HID kit to existing lamps (get cover off to drill hole etc) ?

I can see the benefit of them being out of the way when fitting the ballasts but other than that ? However I'm guessing the only way to get the driver side 'lamp cover off is to move the headlamp as without doing it / removing bumper alone it would still be stuck fast ?

It would be good to hear what others think and I'm beginning to wonder if there is a difference between models (I've got an 06 facelift 2.2 diesel sport) ??!

Cheers

Fraser
Hi Fraser, mine is same as yours ( facelift ) the drivers side headlamp cover is possible to remove by getting rid of washer bottle top ( 10mm bolt ) and lift off, when this is done release the cap and let it drop down, when retrieving it keep flat side of cover hard against the inner wing and pull it straight up, comes out no problem :D I did this yesterday but ran out of time as the bulbs are not easy to get to :( think the bumper partial removal will prob be easier in the long run. Will find out when weather permits. cheers Cliff.

Hi Fraser, mine is same as yours ( facelift ) the drivers side headlamp cover is possible to remove by getting rid of washer bottle top ( 10mm bolt ) and lift off, when this is done release the cap and let it drop down, when retrieving it keep flat side of cover hard against the inner wing and pull it straight up, comes out no problem :D I did this yesterday but ran out of time as the bulbs are not easy to get to :( think the bumper partial removal will prob be easier in the long run. Will find out when weather permits. cheers Cliff.
Hi CLiff,

I got very close to completing this yesterday (removing bumper etc) but came unstuck trying to locate the final bolt to remove the headlamp (location queried on the original thread). That and heavy rain was forecast so I had put whole thing back together. I didn't realise that the top part of the washer bottle comes off but figured that out eventually which helps a bit although my hands are a bit ehem sore today from fishing around in that hell hole.

In playing around removing + / - wires and the OE bulb it has either blown or I've blown a fuse as it (driver side alone) ain't working anymore :-( The passenger side dipped went a few weeks ago and these things tend to happen in pairs - right ?!! so I will have to look into that today which does remind me it is always better to work on these things with the battery disconnected. I found the negative spade conector difficult to get off and it is almost impossible to see when reinstalling it but I'm sure I have a firm connection here.

Fairly confident of getting this done maybe next weekend got my 6000K HID's now and both covers are drilled out at 25mm. Grommets ordered to stop any water ingress in the meantime.

The saga continues but I know it will be worth it in the end as I've got a single 55w 6000K HID on my bike and what a difference that makes to riding at night.

Cheers

Fraser

Hi CLiff,

I got very close to completing this yesterday (removing bumper etc) but came unstuck trying to locate the final bolt to remove the headlamp (location queried on the original thread). That and heavy rain was forecast so I had put whole thing back together. I didn't realise that the top part of the washer bottle comes off but figured that out eventually which helps a bit although my hands are a bit ehem sore today from fishing around in that hell hole.

In playing around removing + / - wires and the OE bulb it has either blown or I've blown a fuse as it (driver side alone) ain't working anymore :-( The passenger side dipped went a few weeks ago and these things tend to happen in pairs - right ?!! so I will have to look into that today which does remind me it is always better to work on these things with the battery disconnected. I found the negative spade conector difficult to get off and it is almost impossible to see when reinstalling it but I'm sure I have a firm connection here.

Fairly confident of getting this done maybe next weekend got my 6000K HID's now and both covers are drilled out at 25mm. Grommets ordered to stop any water ingress in the meantime.

The saga continues but I know it will be worth it in the end as I've got a single 55w 6000K HID on my bike and what a difference that makes to riding at night.

Cheers

Fraser
Fraser, when you got the slam panel off and the the screws under the wheel arch out and pulled the ends of the bumper out what did you do then? did you just press the front of the bumper down and then pull i t out? I tried that but it did not want to play :D put it back together in disgust when once more it rained on me :( Is there a hidden bolt on the headlight that foxed you ? was it the one mentioned previously that he said was awkward? Cheers mate. Cliff.

Fraser, when you got the slam panel off and the the screws under the wheel arch out and pulled the ends of the bumper out what did you do then? did you just press the front of the bumper down and then pull i t out? I tried that but it did not want to play :D put it back together in disgust when once more it rained on me :( Is there a hidden bolt on the headlight that foxed you ? was it the one mentioned previously that he said was awkward? Cheers mate. Cliff.

Yeah I was at this for a while you'll find the bumper is wedged in there pretty firmly such you will need to apply a good bit of measured force to free it. I got my fingers in around the back and tugged it off bit by bit - the clamps that hold it in place are pretty strong.

You'll find a reply to the location of the fourth headlight bolt at the original thread on bumper removal. I'm going to have a look for it again next weekend.

Cheers

Fraser

Yeah I was at this for a while you'll find the bumper is wedged in there pretty firmly such you will need to apply a good bit of measured force to free it. I got my fingers in around the back and tugged it off bit by bit - the clamps that hold it in place are pretty strong.

You'll find a reply to the location of the fourth headlight bolt at the original thread on bumper removal. I'm going to have a look for it again next weekend.

Cheers

Fraser
Dropped the bumper today and fitted HID dipped beam in off side and that was fine, did the nearside and nothing!! swapped ballast over and that is the culprit. Put it back together with old bulb in nearside and xenon in off side so dim and bright dipped beam at the moment. Battery went flat with me trying the lights and door open, was not overly happy but that's life :D Have to get in touch with supplier tomorrow and then have another go . Half way there now I suppose. hope you have better luck Fraser :)

Dropped the bumper today and fitted HID dipped beam in off side and that was fine, did the nearside and nothing!! swapped ballast over and that is the culprit. Put it back together with old bulb in nearside and xenon in off side so dim and bright dipped beam at the moment. Battery went flat with me trying the lights and door open, was not overly happy but that's life :D Have to get in touch with supplier tomorrow and then have another go . Half way there now I suppose. hope you have better luck Fraser :)
Both done now :) just ordered some osram night breakers off e-bay for the full beams so that should do me for the winter :)

Both done now :) just ordered some osram night breakers off e-bay for the full beams so that should do me for the winter :)

Cliff,

Night Breakers in the high beams is a good idea for a little extra lift - did you notice much change to the OE bulbs ?

PS. I got my dipped HID's fitted today - what a difference !! Just back from a 40 mile test run and no "flashes" to speak of - bring on the bad weather I say (but not snow as I ain't got my winter tyres yet !)

Cheers

Fraser

Cliff,

Night Breakers in the high beams is a good idea for a little extra lift - did you notice much change to the OE bulbs ?

PS. I got my dipped HID's fitted today - what a difference !! Just back from a 40 mile test run and no "flashes" to speak of - bring on the bad weather I say (but not snow as I ain't got my winter tyres yet !)

Cheers

Fraser
Hi mate. not fitted my night breakers yet! maybe today :) have got my Winter tyres on and did a 300 ml round trip yesterday and the temp was well in the teens :eek: be nowt left of em when Winter decides to come.

Hi mate. not fitted my night breakers yet! maybe today :) have got my Winter tyres on and did a 300 ml round trip yesterday and the temp was well in the teens :eek: be nowt left of em when Winter decides to come.
Got the night breakers on now and there is a lot of difference! they are a lot brighter :D

Took me about an hour to fit mine last week. pretty simple plug and play. just be paitient.
hi m8 just cant work it out but will appreciate if you can post some pics and where you mounted the ballasts and did you made hole in the plastic cap ....
thanks..