What's new

Fixed - Clock and AirCon Top Display

Andy MacRae

Reaction score
Car
Accord Euro R CL7 03
Like many others I had the top display in the dash that comes with the Premium Audio System cut out and look dim. While I was investigating my Car Audio options I took it back to my electronics desk.

On opening the unit up there was evidence immediately of the many pins that go from the circuit board to the LCD display panel itself having dry/crusty joints. I desoldered all 44 of these as you need to to get to the back of the circuit board for the pins in the cable Socket.

The pins on the socket were similar and looked crusty and dry. I desoldered all of these and took the socket out, I then cleaned up the board with IPA soldered the plug back on, I then mounted the board back onto the pins of the LCD display and soldered Pins 1 and 44 and then went and did the rest.

Reassembled and put back in the car, works perfect.

IMG_4977 (Custom).jpg

IMG_4978 (Custom).jpg

IMG_4979 (Custom).jpg

IMG_4980 (Custom).jpg

Hello,

Thanks for your write-up. I was wondering if you could tell me if this fixes the problem with the GPS clock setting and the top display clock setting not synching. Currently, the only way to set my top display clock is to disconnect the battery. I noticed this problem shortly before having problems with my top display flickering or shutting off altogether. I can still go into the settings on the main screen and set the time on the GPS unit but it isn't displayed anywhere when you leave the settings menu aside from where it used to be displayed correctly on the top screen. I hope this is clear. If this fixes the synchronisation problem, I might go to the trouble of soldering it. I have a 2004 Tourer and it seems that as electronic connections and wires age, this sort of problem rears its ugly head. I've already fixed my broken tailgate by simply splicing a new piece of wire where one had split. I'm sure a lot of these little inconveniences can be easily and cheaply fixed. That's what I love about these forums.

Cheers,
Johann

I've already fixed my broken tailgate by simply splicing a new piece of wire where one had split.
I had exact same fault on my tailgate...red wire within loom on hinge had split...easy fix ONCE ID EVENTUALLY FOUND IT! Anyway i have a pre facelift 04 premium sound system but no upper lcd display above head unit.Was this only fitted to navi models? I would like this myself but is it practical or possible with non navi?

Hello,

Thanks for your write-up. I was wondering if you could tell me if this fixes the problem with the GPS clock setting and the top display clock setting not synching. Currently, the only way to set my top display clock is to disconnect the battery. I noticed this problem shortly before having problems with my top display flickering or shutting off altogether. I can still go into the settings on the main screen and set the time on the GPS unit but it isn't displayed anywhere when you leave the settings menu aside from where it used to be displayed correctly on the top screen. I hope this is clear. If this fixes the synchronisation problem, I might go to the trouble of soldering it. I have a 2004 Tourer and it seems that as electronic connections and wires age, this sort of problem rears its ugly head. I've already fixed my broken tailgate by simply splicing a new piece of wire where one had split. I'm sure a lot of these little inconveniences can be easily and cheaply fixed. That's what I love about these forums.

Cheers,
Johann

Unfortunately not. This is nothing to do with the car and is down to changes in the GPS signal that occured earlier this year or last year. Afraid there is no fix for it other than disconnecting the battery as you have said.

I had exact same fault on my tailgate...red wire within loom on hinge had split...easy fix ONCE ID EVENTUALLY FOUND IT! Anyway i have a pre facelift 04 premium sound system but no upper lcd display above head unit.Was this only fitted to navi models? I would like this myself but is it practical or possible with non navi?

The non-navi units do not have the connector for the upper LCD display, the upper display is there instead of displaying the information on the screen, freeing it up for the maps etc.

The non-navi units do not have the connector for the upper LCD display, the upper display is there instead of displaying the information on the screen, freeing it up for the maps etc.
gotcha...i kind of suspected the upper display was to to work along side navi unit but thanks for the info.I would have considered finding and fitting the nav system which are easily found on ebay etc but the upper display not as easily found.Given what other members have said about the poor performance of system ill stick with my tom tom....just would have been nice to have it all built into the dash nice n tidy as factory standard spec.I have a seperate dab adaptor too which i have hard wired through xcarlink but again not as tidy as id like with power supply via the 12v socket in front of gear stick.I will take a good look round here see what other options i have

Hello,

Cheers,
Johann

Unfortunately not, steeling myself to go out at 1am to disconnect/reconnect the battery. Would really like to find out where it's internal clock chip is located, could at least put a reset switch to the power on it then to save messing with the batter.

Well known problem and fix but just a little daunting if your not a proficient solderer !

Yes, a desoldering iron helps a lot but some solder wick and a normal iron would be fine for doing it. The bugger is having to desolder the LCD panel pins to get to the socket pins on the other side of the circuit board, otherwise you could get away with just re flowing the solder with an iron.

If you don’t like soldering, try the search button!!
Loads of people have had the problem before.

Just saying...

Hello,

Cheers,
Johann
Hi Johann, I managed to finally figure it out, I have posted a how to guide in the 7th gen Accord forum.

Hi Johann, I managed to finally figure it out, I have posted a how to guide in the 7th gen Accord forum.
Hello,
Glad to see you’ve got it sorted. I had already fixed mine by taking out the display, cutting away some of the white plastic to get a heat gun on the solder points. I found that simply heating it up (but not too much) fixed the problem without having to dismantle everything and solder. I went over everything a number of times gently heating the dry solder and everything works perfectly now. No more intermittent display !
-Johann

My display keeps going off intermittently but comes back on if I press the top of the dash. Does this sound like the soldering issue or could it just be a loose connection seeing that it comes back on by pressing the dash?

My soldering skills are non existent so I'm not even going to attempt repairing it. I could try to find a used one but that may have the same issue. Someone is offering a repair service on eBay for £40 with postage. Is it even worth doing given the age of the car!

Definitely dry joint on the connector. I offer an exchange service for £20 plus postage- I post you a working one, you send me back your old one when you’re happy it’s fixed. Done about ten or eleven for the Honda Karma forum (rip…) and folk on here.
Drop me a pm.