What's new

Fixed service requirements?

Sgoaty

Members
Reaction score
Car
2010 Type S I-DTEC
Hi

Ive just put down a deposit for a 2010 Type S I-Dtec with 41K miles on the clock. I asked the dealer about the last service and it was last done in June 2013 at 33K miles.

He agreed to get it serviced since it had been over a year but today he sent a message saying he had been in contact with honda and the vehicle is on a variable service schedule and its not due for quite some time yet. Now that smells alot like BS to me.

Fair enough variable service but that could just as easily make it due at 10,000 miles rather than 12,500.

I replied saying as much and insisted it gets serviced as agreed.

Does anyone know what would be required at this mileage?
And can the variable service be reset before its due?

Thanks
Scott

If this was me I'd demand it done as these are not cheap cars to buy

If a garage is selling a car with last service about a year they should get it done before selling it

I'd state do it or discount the car regardless if variable or not

If they won't it would make me think what else haven't they done, has it been fully checked before release to buyer and if any niggles have they just left them

Is it honda dealer

No Its a small dealer near nottingham.

Its going to come with a warrany wise warranty which if you read the small print requires the car to be serviced anually.

http://www.warrantywise.co.uk/servicing-your-car/

Ill be asking for my deposit back if he isnt going to get it serviced or discount the cost of a service.

Could somebody check the manual for me please to see whats required?

Thanks
Scott

Another option would be to ask for discount if you don't take his warranty and take out one from honda which I've done.

It's a full blown warranty, mine is also wareable parts.

Phone your local dealer first if you decide to do this to confirm if ok on cars history as they normally want the car to have honda servicing from new.

I take it it's the one with coilovers the same as mine in Mansfield, very nice looking car that one

I'll have a look in my service book, not sure if listed though

It does state variable service on the service book but doesn't state when or what's required.

Mine at 40k had engine oil and filter, brake fluid, and inspection. The next one after that was full blown everything.

I'm not 100% if this is what your car would need for the next service as mine has had a few interim services as well so over serviced and a bit all over on the records.

As said id phone your local dealer at first chance and ask them what they think and also worth asking about warranty with them also as honda better I'd say than after market.

On my last car they paid nearly all of the costs on 2 clutches just because I had this warranty and serviced the car with honda

Yep thats the one. Its been serviced 3 times I believe all by honda dealers. Hes selling me the warranty at cost price around £300 and it covers wearable parts too.

Can you remeber the cost of a honda warranty?

At a minimum id be changing the oil and filter every year regardless of mileage.

Thanks
Scott

I'm not sure as I paid about £200 for 3 years in the deal I made with buying the car

I think full one is about £250 and about £300 for wareable parts also. Remember though honda warranty will also look favourably on other issues with the car in my experience with this warranty.

I had it on my last 06 plate, total of I think 6 years with this warranty now and has saved me a bundle over this time

It's worth asking about before you sign anything

If it is on variable servicing just ask the dealer to cycle through the dash menu to see when the next service is due as the system tells you this. I would have thought it would be very soon as if anything the variable service schedule makes servicing more frequent than 12 months. I think what has happened is the previous owner has manually reset the variable service indicator when due in the last few months but not done the service to save the money....
I would insist a service is done and the variable turned off (dealer has to do this) then you can stick to a proper 12 month/12k miles schedule.
Also check paperwork for what work has been carried out on the car in its life, in all honesty it sounds like a previous owner has been skipping services and doing a manual reset of the indicator.

I dont think its fair to suggest that services have been skipped I think the dealer is just a bit ingnorant about the variable service requirements.

Im unsure if the variable is really a bad thing as it probably takes in to account DPF regen cycles with regard to oil life and id rather it was changed too much than not enough. If a sensible approach is taken i.e 12k miles/anually or when display says then you shouldnt really go wrong.

I would imagine it will be getting serviced by an independant which i have no issue with but I will take the car to a main dealer at some point to get it checked for software updates and MAYBE turn off the variable.

After the years warranty is up ill be servicing it myself.

Ask the dealer to take off the VSR and go back to a 12.5k or 12 month service plan.
The dealer will do this free of charge and then he can give the car a full service

Just read this bit and i suppose its entirely possible that the guy has just reset it as he was planning on trading it in. Although going by the 12k intervals its not due for another 4k miles according to the service book.
Metis said:
The previous owner has manually reset the variable service indicator when due in the last few months but not done the service to save the money....

Im just off the phone to the dealer and he has read the manual and agrees that the car needs serviced anually or when the light comes on.
It had an A and B last time so it will only be due an A this time @£165. He is going to try and get it done before i collect or if thats not possible discount the cost of the service from the top line.

He seems like a very nice chap to deal with.

I called Honda to price thier warranty it was just under £400 for the year not including wearable parts. The warranty wise seems to be better cover for less in this instance.
Thanks
Scott

Scott an A service is oil and filter change

Yeah oil, filter and inspection. They also check the software is up to date apparently.

They also confirmed no charge to change the service back to interval based.

Also make sure its using the right oil, fully synth Honda approved low saps oil, or it can cause DPF blockages.

When i got mine the garage said it was serviced but when i removed the oil filter it looked older.i service mine every 5k i do it my self and every time iv changed my oil filter its never looked as bad as the first time i changed it.if you lived near me i would of changed it for you whilst you watched so you know its done etc peace of mind really

Apparenty its getting done at unipart. Ive asked him to get it documented on the reciept which oil has been used.

adamk said:
When i got mine the garage said it was serviced but when i removed the oil filter it looked older.i service mine every 5k i do it my self and every time iv changed my oil filter its never looked as bad as the first time i changed it.if you lived near me i would of changed it for you whilst you watched so you know its done etc peace of mind really
There is always the doubt isnt there. If im not entirely satified that they have used a Honda spec oil ill change it again when I get home :)

I know lads who will just throw the filters in the bin.which is shockin as people pay to have the work done one guy at the place i worked once just turned the service light out and parked it back out side cause it only done 9k if the car needs a service then its got to be done.

I did oil and filter at 57k but cause i want to get the service back on track im doin it in 700 miles as its rolling up to 60k not sure what a 60k service involves but it will get done.lucky really as the oil i get really cheap so thats a bonus.

tbf servicing the Accord is really easy

After me asking him specifically about the oil and asking him to document it. (to which the original response was Im sure he knows what hes doing hes been maintaining cars since before i was born) Ive looked up the oil today and its not the right spec!
Guess ill be changing it myself after all

Thats a bit rubbish bet he saw the price of the oil and didnt want to pay out for it.

Lucky that the oil change on them are easy to do best bet is to do it yourself least you know its done

Yeah Ive got a Halfords trade card and it still cost me £65 for 6l of castrol 0w-30 edge oil. Oh well it got a 500 mile flushing treatment i suppose.

Yeah the Accord is easy to work on. Hardest bit is freeing off the rusty under tray bolts to get at the sump plug. I ended up dropping the entire undertray as mine was rusted solid, not too bad only 6 plastic clips.

richsprint said:
Yeah the Accord is easy to work on. Hardest bit is freeing off the rusty under tray bolts to get at the sump plug. I ended up dropping the entire undertray as mine was rusted solid, not too bad only 6 plastic clips.
Yer i think most my bolts got replaced by cable ties i ripped a bit of the undertray of on a kerb when i got the car but repaired it

Just make sure your oil is low saps for the DPF

Thankfully mine came off very easily and i put some copper slip on them so hopefully they are the same next time.