What's new

Flickering / Dimming / Failing LCD screen

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
The thin LCD screen that I have circled in the pic has started to fail. It flickers, it goes off for a while then comes back on. A sharp tap to the top of the dash above it restores it but only temporarily.

Anyone aware of what my problem might be? and is it expensive? :(

VTEC5-1.jpg

Have you tried removing the dash to check the connections? can't remember what it looks like under there, but it isn't that crowded.

Thanks guys! Kinda reassuring that it's not a common fault then!

I'll have a poke around when I get the chance. Will there just be a bulb behind there?

The display is actually a complete ***embly, so I doubt its serviceable. You don't wanna see the price :0 (nearly £400 on Lings)

The display is actually a complete ***embly, so I doubt its serviceable. You don't wanna see the price :0 (nearly £400 on Lings)

£400 for that tiny little screen.................totally over the top price that!

Totally - but this is the first time I have heard of one going - and probably easy enough to get from breakers.

Hopefully it is a loose connection though.

£400 OUCH!!!

How would I look behind it to check the connections? Is it easy to remove the trim?

I'm just back from a trip to Glasgow's pothole ridden roads so the connections may well have been shaken loose! :huh:

Sorry if I've asked trim removal questions before, having a 3yr and a 5yr old at home means I never got the chance to look for my iPod adaptor behind the stereo yet. :D

Yeah it is easy enough to do - have a look in the various iPod threads for the CivInfo link. I bought the Halfords removal tool which paid for itself several times over between the accord and my tranny :lol:

Ta Dan. Gotta sort this problem, it's really doing my head in flickering away.

I have the exact same problem. the back light stays on, but the digits for the clock etc goes off and a tap to the dash brings it back for a short while....or next pot hole.

This seems to be a common problem in USA and they even had extended warranty due to the cost of replacing the unit.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7863844_honda-accord-2003-lcd-problems.html

But I rang around Honda in Ireland and UK and none of the dealers advised there was any warranty on this here as its not a common fault in Europe/UK.

I was planning of booking my car into the dealer to take a look at it but I'm weary of the cost.

The panel just pulls out if I remember from last time I pulled mine out. Hook something into the sides of the vents and pull I think...

Any luck with the LCD screen. I still haven't got around to getting mine looked at.

Here's a video of my screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrHR38TRY8

I used to have a tv like that :lol:

it sounds like a dodgy connection and i guess it's hard to say until the unit is taken out to have a look at. It's a relatively simple thing once it's out. A simple discnnection and reconnection may be all it needs if not you may need to delve further and have a look at the LCD board itself....either way you need to get in there to look :)

I used to have a tv like that :lol:

I still do :p

it sounds like a dodgy connection and i guess it's hard to say until the unit is taken out to have a look at. It's a relatively simple thing once it's out. A simple discnnection and reconnection may be all it needs if not you may need to delve further and have a look at the LCD board itself....either way you need to get in there to look :)

Is that something an independent mechanic can look at, or is it best with a honda dealer?

I had exactly the same problem and my electric service guys managed to sort it out (by solder).... with collateral problem - one of the symbols of the display is not working properly. I mean if it should show "I" it shows sort of:

\I/
/I\

As a matter of fact my car is even now with them (for fog lights mounting) and I asked them to re-check the display if they can fix the new problem.

I will revert when any news.

[quote name='Bat'Zlat' timestamp='1319459613' post='79489']
I had exactly the same problem and my electric service guys managed to sort it out (by solder).... with collateral problem - one of the symbols of the display is not working properly. I mean if it should show "I" it shows sort of:

\I/
/I\

As a matter of fact my car is even now with them (for fog lights mounting) and I asked them to re-check the display if they can fix the new problem.

I will revert when any news.
[/quote]

That would be great mate, cheers.

It gets annoying when I want to change the temp of the A/c that Ive to thump the dash a few times to get the display working. Was giving a few people a lift in the car and forgot they didnt know about my LCD issue and got worried by me thumping the dash like a mad man :p

So, I took the car, but they told me that the issue with the symbol cannot be solved. They opened the display and didn't find something wrong that might cause it. Now I'll have to get used with it :unsure:

The conclusion is that the display is reparable, and the problem can be solved without replacement. As I understood there are some pins that didn't make good contact. Tomorrow I shall return (cause of other issue) and will ask if they can tell me exactly what did they solder. I will try to understand and then will try to explain :lol:

So, as I understood it was some pin from the plug that enters in the display plate. After being opened, should be visible which one is causing the problem.

Did anyone figure out definitively what the problem with the clock unit flickering on/off is? Mine started doing it the other day, a couple of days after my brother in law told me his has been doing it for a few days.. Gone viral evidently.. :-/

I've taken my unit out but can't see any obvious problems on the circuit board - mind you I can't get to the back-light side without unsoldering stuff which would probably make things worse at this stage.

Will give the connectors a bit of a clean and stick it back together unless anyone has more details. Might even do a short write-up describing how to get it out/back in..

Well it seems to be getting worse, even after the reseating connector.. take it no one has figured out where/what the fault is previously? :unsure: