What's new

Flywheel Goosed

gul55

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ictdi
Gutted big time, only had the exhaust manifold replaced last Tuesday, and today my flywheel has started making all sorts of weird vibrations and a loud grumbling noise like a road digger when I press the clutch.

I phoned my mechanic mate and he said its most definitely the flywheel, I have no choice but to replace it as I need it for work (taxi). Swansway Honda in Stockport quoted me £1500 to get it fixed!
Anyhow I managed to get my mate to locate an LUK flywheel and a clutch, tomorrow hopefully they will get fitted. I know some guys are just gonna jump on me and say take it to Honda, but I've had enough of spending money on this car and this is the last thing I get done on it.

This Accord has by far been the most unreliable car I've owned, and I think this is the last Honda I'll ever own.

Sorry to hear it bud.

By all means get your mate to fit the clutch, but he had better borrow the tool form Honda to get it aligned properly (I take you you've read Faddy's thread on the subject?)

How many miles have you done? And what other issues have you had with the car apart form the fuel filter (not really a reliability issue) and the manifold?

Starter motor packed in, Car eating headlamp bulbs every two three weeks, weird fuel/oil consumption, paintwork very easily chipped or scratched, squeaky clutch pedal.

And the mileage/service regime?

Paint work is annoying, but that is Japanese paint... Mazda is the same IIRC. the clutch pedal is a simple fix with some Motul(?) grease.
Not sure about your bulbs, but it is probably a simple fix once it is found - maybe a bad earth?

What do you mean by wierd fuel/oil consumption?

Bad luck mate. I've just sold my Vectra Diesel as they are also plagued with potentially expensive problems (DMF, DPF, EGR, Inlet Manifold). I've gone back to a petrol as I think the expensive repairs on diesels can negate any benefit from the better MPG.

Different if your a cabbie I guess as you'll do quite a few miles more than me.

Surprised at your criticism of the paint, the Accord I've just picked up is an '04' and the paintwork is in stunning condition!

The mileage on my accord is 109000 roughly. I service it every 5 to 6k miles.

I know of the problems ***ociated with the timing chain and VSA modules with these cars, so I'm not gonna risk driving it till these occur. I'm gonna go back to petrol in a few months, maybe a focus or an astra.

maybe a focus or an astra.

Bro can't be that bad :eek:

DMF is a prob on all modern diesels, not too bad with the accord. manufactures wouldn't use them if they had it there way. 109k on original clutch aint bad, if it was worn then thats what probably wore out the flywheel.

You can get both original parts under £600 plus fitting, and yes it should be done by Honda but my mechanic has done a few now with no problems- all taxis :p
Don't forget the release bearing too.

The mileage on my accord is 109000 roughly. I service it every 5 to 6k miles.

I know of the problems ***ociated with the timing chain and VSA modules with these cars, so I'm not gonna risk driving it till these occur. I'm gonna go back to petrol in a few months, maybe a focus or an astra.

to be fair that is the sort of mileage that flywheels tend to go. My Mondeo TDCI killed its flywheel at 108k and from reading the Mondeo forum at the time they generally go between 80 and 120k.

The Flywheel is a weak point on all modern diesels not just Honda. In fact all modern diesels are littered with issue's hence why i jumped ship and went back to petrol. I do 250 miles a day in my accord and it has not let me down once. the fuel may cost more but the potential repair costs soon outway that.

Go and buy an Accord i-vtec. Surprisingly good economy and bullet proof reliability.

My car used to blow headlight bulbs every week , I fitted an HID Xenon kit and after 6 months no problems and my car is a taxi , I only work nights so my lights get more used than anyones

Isn't this car being used as a taxi?

Yep. :rolleyes:

Well I'm not saying that just because it's being used as a Taxi, it's destined to fail... but it would have been nice if the OP had mentioned it in his initial post as its quite an important and relevant fact which helps readers put the situation into perpsective.

If all CTDI's were failing... we wouldn't have such a great community of members who've nearly all had their cars 12+ months. I've had mine 3 years now. Nobody ever wants to write about when things are going well.. only when they're not.

As for taking one of these cars to a 'mechanic mate' - there's nothing wrong with that, as long as he/she is competent in working with this specific car.

That's the problem with internet forums. 90% of people only post when they have an issue. I check all the car forums for cars i am interested in buying and they all have tails of doom and gloom to be honest.

Buying a used car is a gamble no matter how reliable it is supposed to be. You don't know how it has been treated or if the previous owner liked riding the clutch etc.

You need to go in with your eyes open and expect the unexpected. If you listen to everything you read on forums you will end up riding a bike out of fear.

I have flywheel problem now,but my car have 115 k on clock so its a bit of time really and at HH they will change it soon together with clutch at the same time.
My car been eating bulb also all past 14months,but before that I strongly been adviced by guys here to put HID kit to solve that problem.
I think all these problems occur because cars we drive been driven with somebody and already are in golden age

That's the problem with internet forums. 90% of people only post when they have an issue. I check all the car forums for cars i am interested in buying and they all have tails of doom and gloom to be honest.

Buying a used car is a gamble no matter how reliable it is supposed to be. You don't know how it has been treated or if the previous owner liked riding the clutch etc.

You need to go in with your eyes open and expect the unexpected. If you listen to everything you read on forums you will end up riding a bike out of fear.

You should go on Vectra-c.com. It's depressing! (well only if you own one)

Oi... Wait till I show you a certain video...

Dave - have you edited it yet? :D

I was thinking about you when CJ mentioned diesel owners not pushing there diesels :lol: :lol:

Will sort ASAP, I had completely forgotten :rolleyes:

But tubby ones like me generate a nice little phutt of smoke too :lol: :p

;) :ph34r:

... but it would have been nice if the OP had mentioned it in his initial post as its quite an important and relevant fact which helps readers put the situation into perpsective.

Ahem...... :p

I have no choice but to replace it as I need it for work (taxi).

As a petrol owner thread like these just re-enforce the trust in the legendary reliability of Petrol engine.,I am not being sadistic upon the predicament the diesel owners find themselves with a never ending story.My motto in life is all that glitters is defiantly not diesel and diesel drivers are ******* they will not push their car in corners..:lol: remap or not remap..they still cant drive.

Get a real type r mate :p :D :D :D 190bhp from 2.4 hardly legendary or light :rolleyes:

So for all the diesel haters who say diesels are no good when it gets racy, CJ. Could I just point out that the greatest motor race on earth, the Le Mans 24 Heures, was WON this year by a DIESEL. As it has been now for a few years. In fact the 1st 4 cars this year were all diesels, and it would have been the 1st 6 had 2 Audi's not hit the barriers. :D :p

A clip of the 1st Audi crash. Thankfully no one got hurt.

Ahem...... :p

Sorry Sal, I was thinking of you actually when I was writing it.. it's not the fact that its being used as a taxi that's the issue, but the fact it wasn't mentioned in the complaint.

why would I want to do that when the stock 2.4 is more than sufficient to blow the diesel away. it not always the car which makes the car fast.:rolleyes:
TBH CJ I would say a stock 2.4 will struggle to blow away a stage 1 remapped Accord diesel.
From my own experience of owing a Type R Accord which produced 212bhp I would say my remapped diesel Accord would not be that far off.
Sorry mate but I think you need to accept the fact that diesel power has come along way. However the petrol is more smoother I still enjoy the diesel.

Oh, please, for the love of TA sanity move this to it's own thread :lol:

Guys, please don't ruin the thread with pointless arguments, we've all been there... and it's just boring now.