What's new

Footwell lights,,,,where to?

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Hey guys,

Got myself some LED strips to add some footwell lights, was thinking of wiring them to the ashtray light so they come on with the parks and so on but they will be on almost all the time. I could possibly connect them to the door lights so they only light up when the door is opened.

I have located the wires for the ashtray light so I could do the job, but is there much more to finding the door card lights or where should I look?

Any opinions? :)

Have a look hear ;)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/682-diy-footwell-lighting/

Have a look hear ;)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/682-diy-footwell-lighting/

Perfect! I was wondering if having them on with the parks would be too much light, but that seems to be the norm! Might as well get to work now when I have the chance! :D

Good man don't forget the pics lol

here is what I've done in my tourer http://www.accordklubpolska.pl/viewtopic.php?t=26791&start=0
it's on polish forum but pictures will show you how it looks, if need some help let me know ;)
I've connect everything to the drivers side light above central console so it works like other interior light I mean it light up when you open the door and dimming when you close them :D

here is what I've done in my tourer http://www.accordklubpolska.pl/viewtopic.php?t=26791&start=0
it's on polish forum but pictures will show you how it looks, if need some help let me know ;)
I've connect everything to the drivers side light above central console so it works like other interior light I mean it light up when you open the door and dimming when you close them :D
It's asking for login.

Did you wire physically up into the light unit? Or did you find the other end of those wires in the fuse box?

It's asking for login.

Yeah I see that too! :( But I've hit a bit of a problem...I opened up the glove box and I have no light! So I went to the ashtray light and there's no power there either! It must be a fuse, but I'm wondering which one? I have all the other interior lights, and there is power at the cigarette lighter but its constant and I dont want them on all the time!
Any help??

If you take it from the cig lighter put an inline switch and please yourself when you require the lighting

I physically connected wires to the light
footwell010.jpg

this is 5 led module which I used
footwell020.jpg

front
footwell030.jpg

and rear
footwell031.jpg

:D

If you take it from the cig lighter put an inline switch and please yourself when you require the lighting

I thought of that, and its probably what I'll do but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the car and the other problem is bugging me now! :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice though!

if you take power from this light you don't need any additional switch because you are using your original light to turn it on :D one guy connected ground from each light to the switch ( I don't know how it's called in english :blush: ) it's that switch which is responsible to show on the dash which doors are open that little nipple :D you know what I mean :D so footwell light will turn on only when door are open

Discovered a fairly major problem this morning after I left the house, got a call to put on my lights, which I thought were on?! So after checking, my rear lights are out! I have the fog and brake lights. Just the main rears are gone!! Any help appreciated! Is it just as simple as a fuse?...I hope so!!

I wired my footwell lights up to each door light.

You open the drivers door - only the drivers footwell lights up. Shut the door and lights go off.... no need to look at my feet whilst driving
same with front passanger.
Rear passangers i linked together.

Well I've sorted the rear light problem...was only the fuse! After a day at work dreading the thoughts of the 26 mile drive home with no lights the boss was kind enough to let me off early to get to the uncles garage. :D

Actually, could anyone be good enough to tell me where the power for the door lights has the best accessibility? Still thinking it would be nice to have them on when I open the door!

why would you need them when you just open the door? Isn't the whole point about creating an ambience inside the car, mood lighting of whatever :lol:

But I don't like bright lighting inside the car, it would have to be a boring yellow/orange for me, like mercs very subtle.

I'm not sure where my stock 8th gen are wired to but I can also dim them in accordance with the dash by the switch near the speedo

why would you need them when you just open the door? Isn't the whole point about creating an ambience inside the car, mood lighting of whatever :lol:
Well, yeah but it would be pretty cool to open the door and have the footwells light up! Maybe it's just my opinion?

In some ways i agree, but when driving at night, the last thing i need to see is a bright light down by my feet, very offputting!

Well, yeah but it would be pretty cool to open the door and have the footwells light up! Maybe it's just my opinion?

of course mate, and I guess their is a cool factor aswell.

In some ways i agree, but when driving at night, the last thing i need to see is a bright light down by my feet, very offputting!

I don't like bright lights in the car either even drive with the dash dimmed. but don't mind a very subtle ambience, like a dim orange not obtrusive.

Where did you tap into the door lights?

Where did you tap into the door lights?

I suppose he removed the door card and passed the wires through the rubber tube on the door, into the inside of the car. And that's a clever and easy way to do it!
Got me thinking.
biggrin.gif

Was just wondering if there was a signal wire you can splice into before the door, would be easier but I guess its all done in the door card maybe.

I suppose he removed the door card and passed the wires through the rubber tube on the door, into the inside of the car. And that's a clever and easy way to do it!
Got me thinking.
biggrin.gif

dont be silly! thats making the work 1000 time harder than it really is!!!

i will take some pictures tonight on my phone and post them up here tomorrow morning to show you where i tapped in to :)
Hold on to your horses and all will be revealed :D

I still would like to know where the green/red and yellow/blue wires for the rear ceiling light go to, they must come down one of the pillars and attach to a plug somewhere? Maybe in the driver footwell?
If I can attach to those so the LEDs come on when the car is unlocked and any door is opened that would be cool.

I still would like to know where the green/red and yellow/blue wires for the rear ceiling light go to, they must come down one of the pillars and attach to a plug somewhere? Maybe in the driver footwell?
If I can attach to those so the LEDs come on when the car is unlocked and any door is opened that would be cool.

I will try and find out for you Trev. :)

As an update, i have gone out to the car and ripped the drivers side dash apart to get pictures..
forgot i had my socket set in the boot so could not do the passanger side.

its a dead easy job though, albeit a bit fiddly :)

Finally got the footwell lighting in the front (back to be done tomorrow), but here it is. It's wired to the ashtray light so it will come on with the sidelights, but I have a switch on it just incase it gets aggravating while driving with LED's around my feet.

Any questions feel free to ask!

IMG_0191.jpg

That's the white inline switch hidden in the ashtray, I never used the tray anyway so now I have some use for it.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

..and thats the view of the back of the ashtray where I pulled the wires through two holes I had bored in it.