What's new

For anyone considering a DIY oil service.....

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Just came across this idea on another site, brilliant idea for anyone that doesn't have access to a garage lift or axle stands.
I won't go on, but if your interested in doing your own service, check this out!

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm

Very good find Gerard and safer than axle stands IMO.The only problem is storage but other that that great.

Nice idea, but I'd be paranoid about them pinging up at the back/start :lol:

Storage would be a bit of an issue for some people, but if the measurements are correct when you make them they could fit together and look just like 4 planks stacked one on the other if left flat on the floor.
Whatever about the UK, I know heavy scaffolding planks (9x2's mainly) are going two a penny over here, so for very little money you have a handy ramp. I know access to the underside was the main thing that put me off servicing the car up until now so this might give a few people some confidence to tackle the job themselves!

If only I had a driveway I could make use of something like this. I have to do all my stuff in the road.

If only I had a driveway I could make use of something like this. I have to do all my stuff in the road.
Me to mate but just put them on the road i would ;)

I recall a guy on here thinking of or actually doing this sometime ago.

Think it was in the newbie section.

Not a bad idea and could probably be stored down the side of the house (where possible)

Would have thought you would need a wide plank, don't know how heavy they would become when all made up, the weight issue might out weigh the advantages, so to speak.

It might also only really work on relatively level ground otherwise I would imagine it would try and pivot out of line if there are any raised area's etc

Would have thought you would need a wide plank, don't know how heavy they would become when all made up, the weight issue might out weigh the advantages, so to speak.

Yeah the weight would be an issue alright.... But a bit of muscle would drag them down to the back of the shed when your done! Plus think of the satisfaction when you've just closed down the bonnet and realised what you have accomplished! ;)

such a great idea shame i cant do it id catch my fricken bumper lol damn you low car!!

I'm thinking about the size, the handling, the storage, the work and wood price!
You can get a pair of metal ramps probably much cheaper! Around here you can get a pair of ramps for about 30/35 pounds.
smile.gif

I'm thinking about the size, the handling, the storage, the work and wood price!

Wow that's a lot to think about! :p But I get your point, just lucky for me I have a lot of space around and like I said, scaffolding planks are going two a penny. It won't be ideal for a lot of people just another option for anyone that wants it.

biggrin.gif

Either way, I'm going to look around and check for wood prices. I wouldn't need such long ramps anyway. If it pays off, I might do it.

IMHO to do this properly, you would need to fork out quite a bit on some really good quality solid wood. I would think it more cost effective to invest in some well made steel ones.

During this afternoon I checked for wood prices and it's not worth it. At least around here.
sad.gif

And soon I'll be needing an oil service.

How do you do a wheel off job??

Obviously your not going to be able to do brakes or any of the jobs that need a wheel off! But then again you wont with a steel version of these either. To do that your going to need stands or a jack at least, having said that I've changed discs and pads with just a standard jack that was in the boot. Just I wouldn't feel to confident getting underneath a car with only a little jack holding it up! :p

then why not dig a big hole in the drive??

I almost bought a house just because it had an inspection pit in the garage. My wife was saying how small / expensive / run down it was and I was there going "but its got a pit. A PIT. Don't you understand woman?"

I now have to do all my work at the side of the road. :(

My bruv has just had one dug in his new log cabin/garage. Why I insist on servicing my car on my drive with stands and a dust sheet I don't know.