What's new

From 16" to 18" alloys

mattdowling

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport 2.2
Hi guys

I've had various problems with my 16" original alloy wheels that came with the car - whether winter tyres or summer tyres, new tyres or refitting the other sets, they vibrated and needed rebalancing after 500 miles. A couple of garages mentioned two of the wheels needed a lot of weights, so I thought I'd change the alloys to see these were at fault.

After a little searching, I found some Honda Sigma 18" alloys, brand new boxed at a very keen clearance price. A little shopping around and research resulted in spending a few quid with Camskill on Falken ZE914 (225 x 40 R18). My thoughts on the size increase below...

Pro's for 16"
A fraction quieter, but they were still noisy on the rough motorway surfaces
Less jarring over rough London potholes and speed bumps

Pro's for 18"
Corner and high speed stability significantly improved (must be the stiffer and smaller sidewall)
Looks took me a little while to get used to, but much happier now!
Fuel economy not greatly affected (if I want to use less fuel, I just slow down a touch)

17" may have been a better compromise, but I'm happy with the 18". As a bonus they haven't needed rebalancing after 2k miles so I'm guessing the weights weren't sticking on the old wheels, or the old wheels are made of cheese. It was confirmed the driveshafts were fine and the Hunter tracker at my local (Seat) dealer confirmed nearly all alignments were spot on after 65k.

I'll upload a pic once the car has a much needed wash!

Fair point! Photo below. When they're clean they are REALLY shiny, a little bling

IMG_1235_zpsc4bfbd54.jpg

They look amazing mate, good looking car. I think I need 18's now

Nice wheels, but they will look a million times better if the car gets lowered.

Same wheels as mine lol

Hi. (First post) just put a set of these on mine as well. As people above have said I think I am going to look into lowering. Can I add a pic from iPad?

Switched back to my original 16" rims, which have my winter tyres on.
What a difference! In mild temperatures, the 18" give so much more feedback and overall grip, it makes the 16" feel like offroad bicycle tyres.
I'm still keeping these on for when the winter really kicks in, so I can overtake uphill with everyone else sliding around me :)