What's new

Front Drop Link

Jez

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
Hi all,

While having new tyres fitted yesterday noticed that the drivers side front drop link has broken :huh: Thought the handling had been a bit strange.
Are these easy to replace? From what i can see its just two bolts...

Regards

Jez

Hi,

I had to cut mine off with grinder but i was quoted nearly £200 so i saved myself roughly £160 doing the job myself!

Tim

As per the above. Try lots of penetrataing fluid a few days behind (good squirt each day). Then it's just down to luck. I had to use a hacksaw blade and cut mine off when I lowered my suspension (I didn't actually need to take them off in the end).

Thanks for the replies guys.
Will start with the wd40 tonight then. But have an angle grinder as back up :eek:
Are the bolt nornal 13mm nylock ones? Have found the drop links on ebay is it worth doing the other side at the same time?

The nuts are nothing special just need a regular spanner. The main issue I found was due to threads being corroded which stopped the nut coming off.

I got mine from eBay and they weren't as good as the ones I took off. A bit thinner. I'd do both.

if you're lucky the penetrating fluid will work...but then you need a REALLY REALLY good fitting and STRONG and long allen key to fit behind while you try and turn it....round the hole with an ill fitting/weak allen key and time to break out the dremel or similar :)

I have replaced all 4 drop links on my 03 accord and the grinder is the best option by far, once the old ones are off the new fit real easy!

Finally got round to doing this at the weekend :rolleyes:

After having a failed first attempt and then not having any cutting discs for my angle grinder it got left for a few weeks, but fianlly with the sun out on Saturday and all the right cutting discs I finally changed them.
Thanks for the advice guys and you were all right, angle grinder definatly the way to go. And fitting the new ones is a doddle.

Can't believe the difference it has made to the handling of the car. Everythring feels tight again, with no more knocking at the front. Along the with the new tyres and tracking now sorted the car doesn't feel like its 104k miles now :D

Just got fingers crossed that it passes the mot next month ok, then up to Holdcrofts for a service. :D

Good job Jez mate. Another thing you may want to look into is the anti roll bar bushes. Replacing these may improve handling too. I will be doing them on the 7th gen over the weekend after having ordered them from HH over the phone today. Jav has put up a great guide on here only a few days ago. Although there are no noticeable reasons as to why I am changing them, im sure they will improve the handling for the better, we'll soon find out...

also, a good set of mole grips can help get them stubborn bolts off.

Good job Jez mate. Another thing you may want to look into is the anti roll bar bushes. Replacing these may improve handling too. I will be doing them on the 7th gen over the weekend after having ordered them from HH over the phone today. Jav has put up a great guide on here only a few days ago. Although there are no noticeable reasons as to why I am changing them, im sure they will improve the handling for the better, we'll soon find out...

After the MOT and service is out of the way the next job is replacing the disks and pads. Then funds allowing I will see what else requires replacing on the suspension, expecting a few bushes due to its age (53plate) and mileage (104K). Will take a look at the anti roll bar bushes, thanks for the adivce.

I didn't have a cutting disk available and found that if you cut the four plastic pips from the back of each joint, you can tap the link off with a hammer and then remove the plastic cup and dust seal. It makes the ball end of the joint visible and it's much easier to apply the mole grips.