What's new

Front left brake is binding, what could be reason

Accord127

Reaction score
Car
Accord diesel
Front left brake is binding, i recently lubricated all pins and pads sides.

The left wheel start to bind , not too bad , the car moves, all grease came out in liquid form from pins due to heat

Is there any difference in top guide pin and bottom guide pin ?

What could be cause ?

The flexible hoses can break down internally and cause blockages that then hold pressure to the caliper. Worth replacing them both sides.

What's the condition of the brake fluid? Could be the actual caliper that's faulty. Pitted cylinder, faulty square cut seal, faulty piston boot, debris, or pads could be stuck in carrier. Could be a range of reasons.

As above, the internal hose could be breaking down too.

What's the condition of the brake fluid? Could be the actual caliper that's faulty. Pitted cylinder, faulty square cut seal, faulty piston boot, debris, or pads could be stuck in carrier. Could be a range of reasons.
New fluid, don’t know if its pitted cylinder or faulty brake hose,
What is square cut seal ?

I also inspected both calipers without pads, on pressing of paddle only small piston comes out, when i block the movement of small piston, then the big piston moves.

Is there any difference in upper and lower guide pins ? May they are intermixed by me in last service ( driven just 15 miles after service )

The most common cause in my experience is the caliper carrier rusting and causing undue friction to the pad ends preventing them from returning as the pistons retract.
In fact my rear carrier did this just recently, there are stainless steel clips that hold the pads in the carrier, underneath the clips rust forms and eventually pushes the clip so hard that the pads cannot slide and it over heats the pads and caliper.
Just remove it and clean all the corrosion off, I use a coarse file and then lubricate and replace the clips and pads.

I also inspected both calipers without pads, on pressing of paddle only small piston comes out, when i block the movement of small piston, then the big piston moves.

Pull the 2 calliper halves apart and check the guide pins for wear. They shouldn't have flat areas or corrosion. Also make sure they are sliding in brake grease and protected by intact seals.

They look good and clean, what did you use to clean them?